All of you who read EAR FARM with any frequency will know that I tend not to talk about sports on this site much. Don't wanna alienate all of you bro-haters out there. And yet, here we are, SPORTS! What gives?
Well, as you may (or may not) know, the NFL season got started this past week; and with it, a slew of nerds got overly football-geekcited about their Fantasy Football drafts. Count me among them. "But Ear Farm, I thought I knew you!" Yes right, well not entirely. Bear with me folks, because I'ma make this one worth your musicnerd time...
Behold, ladies and gentlemen, the first season of Hangar 18: the Bloggers v. Rockers Fantasy Football League. This league pits six bloggers (My Old Kentucky Blog, Gorilla Vs. Bear, Ear Farm, ninebullets, Indie Interviews, and I Guess I'm Floating) against six musicians (Tapes N Tapes, Vicious Vicious, Margot & The Nuclear So & So's, The Muggabears, Arizona, and Mancino) in a battle to decide who amongst the twelve of us will reign supreme as the Indie Rock CHAMPION of Fantasy Football. Below are the competitors, with a sample post linked to for each blog, a sample song for each band. As well, below you will find our league's results for last week, the matchups for this coming week, the current roster of my team (two former Wolfpackers but missing Rivers - !#!$@#$), AND the song "Hangar 18" by Megadeth (which, lent its name to our fine league for no good reason other than it being a song that rules).
- Arizona (Andrew) - listen to "Thimble" by Arizona
- Mancino (Mike) - listen to "Hetchie Hutchie Footchie" by Mancino
- Margot & The Nuclear So & So's (Richard) - listen to "The Ocean" by Margot & The Nuclear So & So's (Live on MOKB SIRIUS Blog Radio)
- The Muggabears (Travis) - listen to "Dead Kid Kicks" by The Muggabears
- Tapes 'n Tapes (Josh) - listen to "Insistor" by Tapes 'n Tapes
- Tapes 'n Tapes/Vicious Vicious (Erik) - listen to "Don't Let Me Down" by Vicious Vicious
- Ear Farm (Matt) - read "March to the Sea" by Pelican 8+
- Gorilla vs. Bear (Chris) - read SXSW 2007: Recap
- I Guess I'm Floating (Connor) - read Mommy, Where Do Blogs Come From?
- Indie Interviews (Garrison) - read John Roderick Explains Putting The Days To Bed Lyrics
- My Old Kentucky Blog (Dodge) - read NFL Week One Recap
- ninebullets (Autopsy) - read Rock of Love: Meet the Pros Edition
- Arizona (102) defeated My Old Kentucky Blog (92)
Ear Farm (81) defeated Mancino (51)
The Muggabears (116) defeated Gorilla Vs. Bear (56)
Indie Interview (93) defeated Tapes N Tapes/Vicious Vicious (0 - forgot to set team)
Tapes N Tapes/Josh G. (133) defeated Margot & The Nuclear So & So (73)
ninebullets (93) defeated I Guess I'm Floating (84)
- Ear Farm (vs) MOKB
I Guess I'm Floating (vs) Mancino
Arizona (vs) Gorilla Vs. Bear
Muggabears (vs) Tapes N Tapes/Vicious Vicious
Indie Interviews (vs) Tapes N Tapes (Josh G.)
Margot & The Nuclear So & Sos (vs) ninebullets
"Hangar 18" by Megadeth
EAR FARM's current roster:
QB: Jay Cutler (Den)
RB: Joseph Addai (Ind)
RB: Adrian Peterson (Min)
WR: Torry Holt (Stl)
WR: Javon Walker (Den)
WR: Jerricho Cotchery (NYJ)
TE: Vernon Davis (SF)
K: Neil Rackers (Ari)
BN: Thomas Jones (RB - NYJ)
BN: Chester Taylor (RB - Min)
BN: Ronald Curry (WR - Oak)
*image borrowed from Dodge's post about the league.