12 December 2005

Tralala

I first saw Tralala not too long ago (September 2004) at Rothko when I was there to see no band in particular. They were called "Tight Fit" then, if memory serves me correctly. I must say I wasn't blown away, but there were elements of their sound that struck me as something I wasn't really hearing anywhere else. A new band that wasn't building on a foundation solely made of post-punk/indie rock?! Really though, what current NYC band reminds you of songs like "Leader of the Pack" by the Shangri-Las and "I Will Follow Him" by Little Peggy March? Seems to me these guys picked up Beauty and the Beast by the Go Go's and decided that the best songs from that album were the ones when The Go Go's let go of pop and let punk/rock drive the vocals. That perfect spot somewhere between glam and trash.

Long story short, Tralala has come a long way in a short time. They recently opened up for Broadcast and played shows on the west coast with Ted Leo & The Pharmacists. They have an album you can buy on Amazon or on iTunes, they just recently released a Christmas themed EP Fa La La La La with Tralala out now on Audika, and they're playing this Saturday, the 17th, at Mercury Lounge. See? It's not too late for you to get in on the fun.

Listen:
"Motorcycle Man"
Tralala's recent appearance on WMFU's Cherry Blossom Clinic (here they play a bunch of their songs including all of their X-mas songs)

No comments: