21 December 2007

EAR FARM's All I Want For Christmas Is Music Mix

"'Twas the night before Christmas, and all through the house, not a creature was stirring — except for the four assholes coming in the rear in standard two-by-two cover formation." - Theo, in Die Hard (1988)

Ahh Die Hard, what Christmas would be complete without a viewing or two of this all-time Christmas classic? Die Hard?! Got that right. You may not agree, but in my opinion it's one of the best Christmas movies ever made; however, lucky for you, I'm not compiling a list of favorite scenes from holiday films here. This is, as it always is, about music.

Yes, it's true: all I want for Christmas is music. And I tend to enjoy giving gifts more than I do receiving them, so let's get the holiday spirit going with another EF mix. At first I set out to make a holiday mix, rather than a Christmas mix. In it I was going to be as current and non-holiday specific as possible with my song selections. After I finished putting this mix together I realized that none of the music really meant anything to me. So I scrapped it, started over, and then came up with the mix you'll find posted below. What we have here is a specially curated Christmas mix made up of twenty five of my own, personal, very most favorite Christmas songs; ranging from classics such as "A Holly Jolly Christmas" and "White Christmas", to songs from more current artists such as Sufjan Stevens and Yo La Tengo, to a few greats from the '80s, to an 8bit Christmas classic and a song from a certain movie that's an undisputed holiday classic whose title rhymes with "lie card". Excited? Me too.

Whatever your faith, denomination, system of beliefs, or family tradition might be, we here at EAR FARM hope that each and every one of you have a very happy holiday season and we wish you all of the best in the new year.

Click below to download and listen to EAR FARM's All I Want For Christmas Is Music Mix.

EAR FARM's All I Want For Christmas Is Music Mix
1. "It's Beginning to Look Like Christmas" by Perry Como
2. "I Saw Three Ships" by Sufjan Stevens
3. "A Holly Jolly Christmas" by Burl Ives
4. "Happy Xmas (War Is Over)" by John Lennon & Yoko Ono
5. "I Believe in Santa Claus" by Dolly Parton & Kenny Rogers
6. "Santa Baby" by Madonna
7. "White Christmas" by Bing Crosby
8. "Carolina Christmas" by Squirrel Nut Zippers
9. "It's Christmas Time" by Yo La Tengo
10. "xmas songs plastic sputnik arcade punk remix" by hally
11. "Winter Wonderland" by Cocteau Twins
12. "Oh Holy Night" by Kelly Clarkson
13. "Little Saint Nick" by The Beach Boys
14. "Blue Christmas" by Elvis Presley
15. "Christmas" by The Who
16. "Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!" by Harry Connick, Jr.
17. "Christmas In Hollis" by Run-DMC
18. "Last Christmas" by Wham!
19. "Christmas Wrapping" by The Waitresses
20. "Fairytale Of New York" by The Pogues
21. "Christmas in Killarney" by Bing Crosby
22. "I'll Be Home for Christmas" by Frank Sinatra
23. "The Christmas Song (Merry Christmas to You)" by Nat King Cole
24. "When The River Meets The Sea" by John Denver & The Muppets
25. "Christmas Time Is Here" by Vince Guaraldi Trio

Download the entire mix as a ZIP HERE.

And, just to let you know what to expect next week - EAR FARM will be updated lightly next week, highlighted by the very special 100th 8+ on Thursday and a repost of our top albums of 2007 on Friday. So stay tuned, and be sure to vote (in the poll on the right) for the song that you'd like to see featured in this very special 8+.