01 November 2006

Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin, Takka Takka, Goes Cube @ Union Hall - 31 October 2006

Last night at Union Hall EAR FARM, Holy Roller, and Oh My Rockness got together with three fantastic bands to bring Brooklyn a super Halloween show. I'm not just tooting our collective horn here, it really was super. Super duper. There were costumes (my favorites were Frida Kahlo, the hair metal rocker guy, and Jessica's Rollergirl), with prizes given away for best costume (hair metal guy won the grand prize), AND there was some really nice work on the wheels of steel by DJ Colleen Crumbcake. Mostly though there was great live music.

Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin (above) opened the show in a superb fashion and impressed me with their tight rocking pop infused songs. Frankly I wasn't prepared for them to be so darn good but in a live setting their songs have a bit more growl to them and the moments when every member suddenly kicked it into high gear were something extra special. I'd enjoyed their music a bit before seeing them last night but by the end of their first song I was 100% a fan of this band. Not to be missed, you'll have three more chances to catch them before CMJ is over: today @ Pianos, and then tomorrow @ Avery Fisher Hall Day Stage and @ Europa in Brooklyn. For more pictures of Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin from last night click HERE.

Takka Takka (above) was on next and is a band I've become fairly familiar with having seen them a few times already. I've also been listening to their album quite a bit so things were really well aligned (for me) for their set last night. Now I'm not sure if it was a result of their recent tour with Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, or just the overall swell mood permeating the room, but last night Takka Takka was better than they've ever been. They're a band whose members clearly have many divergent influences that are all similar enough to make things work just right when put together as a whole. They're a band who's been getting more and more attention, and rightfully so. They're a band I'd suggest you see live and enjoy for yourself. Lucky for you, they're playing more shows this week. Get with some Takka Takka and thank me later. For more pictures of Takka Takka from last night click HERE.

Goes Cube (above) closed things out last night with a thunderous set. Sure, they're one of my favorite bands of late, sure I listen to their music more often than not when I walk around town, sure I was rocking out like a madman last night during every song of theirs...but, their set last night was probably the best Goes Cube show I've ever seen and, well, that's saying something. Each and every time these guys take the stage they rock it with all they've got and something about last night just worked out perfectly. They played all of their fantastic songs I was hoping they'd play and then also two that were new (new to me at least). I'm frankly at a loss for words on how to continue singing their praises without repeating myself but everything I need from kick-ass loud rock is given to me by Goes Cube. They bring it 100% of the time so if you like your music LOUD and face-meltingly fucking awesome, go see them soon. Like, tomorrow. For more pictures of Goes Cube from last night click HERE.

Thanks so very much to Oh My Rockness, Holy Roller, Union Hall, all three bands, and to everyone who came out last night. It was a perfect Halloween.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

how was it?

i want the full report on my desk by 3.

Bryan said...

so how was it dude?

d said...

matt makes a very natural looking vampire.

mhoodang said...

เล่นเกม สล็อต joker slot online เครดิตฟรี
https://www.slotxd.com/jokergaming123