07 November 2006

Favorite shirts I no longer wear: Rage Against The Machine

Who: Rage Against The Machine
What: A classic shirt of the early to mid '90s and a perfect little politically tinged item of clothing to go along with election day
When: I bought mine at Rock Art (at North Hills Mall in Raleigh) very soon after seeing them on the second stage at Lollapalooza 2
Why: I've always loved shirts that can carry dual meanings. Back then it was like this: "sure I love to mosh about in my Docs jamming out to Rage, but I'm also totally actually raging against the machine, dude". Of course I never actually said those words, not like that, but I think I might've thought 'em. Things changed when everything was made very clear to me one day as my high school English teacher asked me a question to which I had no ready response. He paused in the middle of class..."Now Matt, exactly which machine are you raging against?"
Status: I got rid of this shirt back in 1994 after seeing more and more dingbats wearing it. Well, and I couldn't really wear it after failing that public verbal pop quiz.

Listen: "Take the Power Back" (buy the album Rage Against the Machine HERE)

You can BUY this very shirt HERE on eBay (which is where I grabbed the photo from).

Previously:
Favorite shirts I no longer wear: Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny. They were on Sony records I think, so I guess they were "raging" against themselves. Remember, "Any kid under 25 who is not a liberal has no passion, and anyone over 25 who is a liberal has no brains". You had your passion!

Bryan said...

come on matt, i know you've still got a pocket full of shells

Anonymous said...

googling "rock art" "north hills mall" put this page at #1.. (out of 1 unique link :( -- trying to track down rock art owner-- you didn't happen to know him did you? (Gary Boston)

Anonymous said...

your raging agiasnt sorrupt government

you should have replied "the same one your denying"