17 November 2006

Test your musical skills in 6 minutes

Want to test your pitch discrimination and musical memory abilities? Of course you do. Check it:

While working at the music and neuroimaging lab at Beth Israel/Harvard Medical School in Boston, I developed a quick online way to screen for the tonedeafness. It actually turned out to be a pretty good test to check for overall pitch perception ability. The test is purposefully made very hard, so excellent musicians rarely score above 80% correct. Give it a try!
Oh, I mean - give it a try!

I've posted my results below. Man, I think I could've done better at this test if I didn't take it at work with two phone calls interrupting... Not trying to make excuses, I still did just fine. But my score could've been higher! Let that be a warning to you - be sure to take the test when you can really pay attention.

3 comments:

Moka said...

shite... probably wasnt paying enough attention 75% accurance... Jake Mandell is great though "i wont lie" was one of my favorite from the whole clicks and cuts comps.

We're changin the motel's address, please update :]

www.moteldemoka.com

TJ said...

69.4, but I know I can do better, damn it. Just have to concentrate.

cchang said...

I did really well (91.6), but I had a quiet room all to myself and headphones. Some were really subtle with a drop in pitch at the very end, so if you rang in early you'd miss it. Oddly, the ones I got wrong I thought were different when in fact they were the same. Even listening to the phrases again, I was convinced they were different.