16 November 2006

8+

“Morale... / You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'" by The Human League which clocks in at 9:39

One time, recently at the Delancey when I was pretending to be a DJ, I had an odd conversation with a girl who came up to the DJ booth to request a song. It happened almost two months ago but I think I remember exactly how it went, more or less.

The music was loud and so were the people. This was sometime during the little run of old school hip hop selections that I played and I was grooving along to my own song choices. My head bobbing around, I was in my own world. I was probably singing along like this: "Mister Dobalina, Mister Bob Dobalina. Mister Dobalina, Mister Bob Dobalina."

Her: "Hey, doyouhaveany Hole or Manatees?"

A slow response from me, as I didn't see her at first and had a hard time hearing her. Definitely couldn't hear her. And what I thought I heard made NO sense.

I muttered "Huh? What's that, Hole?"

"No! I wanted to hear some old Human League..."

Me: "Ohhh, I thought you said...nevermind. Hm, let me see..."

I searched but knew I'd find nothing. Nothing except a couple songs off of their album Dare, including one particular song I really didn't want to play ("Don't You Want Me"). This was super frustrating though because I DO have old school Human League in my collection. Just didn't have it with me that day. What a pain. I kept searching as if it would magically transport itself from my apartment to the Delancey if I just kept looking for it.

"Sorry, no I don't have anything except a couple of songs off of Dare."

"Huh? Did you say Dare?? That's perfect! That's what I was looking for."

Me: "Oh. Well I was thinking old school meant OLD school...like the stuff off of Reproduction or some of the rarities from like the original lineup. I LOVE that stuff." Sensing potential music nerd overload I shut up.

"I thought Dare was their classic album though..."

At least I think that's what she said. Thinking back I mean. Who knows though - at the time I sure didn't understand what she said. My response showed it. Showed more music nerd Matt too. There was a pause.

"Dare killed Lester Bangs."

"What?!"

I'm hoping she couldn't really hear me either. I tried to save it: "He was listening to it when he died...when he OD'd. Anyway, their earlier stuff is awesome..."

She interrupted: "Is that where they got D.A.R.E. from? The school drug thing...?"

"I have no idea." Another PAUSE... "So but you should check out my site sometime soon and I'll post one of Human League's old school songs that's really long. It's like part Joy Division, part Kraftwerk, part Righteous Brothers." I handed her an EAR FARM magnet.

"Who? What's this?"

The song was ending. I hoped this mixed up conversation would too. It was 'sposed to be so eeeeeasy...

"Oh. They do this cover of the song "You've Lost That Loving Feeling", it's great. The Human League do, I mean..." I turned to get ready to cue the next song. "It's a magnet, my site's address is on there..."

Her: "Oh, from Top Gun."

"Yes. Top Gun."

"Sorry! Okay, well thanks...I'll check out your site for the Human League song."

I turned and got the rest of my set in order. Didn't end up playing any Human League that night and it's taken me this long to finally post the song I said I would. Sorry about that. Better late than never?

Buy Reproduction HERE on Amazon.

(picture from HERE)

EAR FARM's 8+ is a weekly feature that showcases songs longer than 8 minutes. In the recent past these songs were featured on EF's 8+:
Love and Rockets - “Haunted When the Minutes Drag"
Suede - “The Asphalt World"
!!! - “Me and Giuliani Down by the Schoolyard (a true story)"
Bark Psychosis - “All Different Things"
Deodato - “Also Sprach Zarathustra"
Grateful Dead - “Terrapin Station"
Suicide -“Frankie Teardrop"
Red House Painters - “River"

To see a full list of every song featured in EAR FARM's 8+ click HERE.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

whatever, dude. Hall & Oates.

Anonymous said...

link isn't worling for me :(

tina said...

That's a great story.

Matt said...

sorry anon - link's working as far as I can tell.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, I saved it to my music and it's working now, but for some reason I can't stream it. I agree that that was a great story.

Anonymous said...

Awesome story, the bit about D.a.r.e cracked me up.

my mixblog

mbiencegroup said...

I read so much helpful data above!