14 November 2006

Butch & Bellie

Do you hear that? In the distance... no? It's the sound of one hand clapping for Brooklyn's new hott rap bitches Butch & Bellie. Soon it'll be two hands clapping like this: clap clap yay yay! Then, before you know it, they'll be the toast of the town making everyone get down and turning frowns upside down. Yo, believe me when I say that. The buzz just recently got going with them playing Beg Yr Pardon #11 and getting featured on Junk Magazine's site but you already knew about them because of those things, right? No? Okay, fine then. Allow me to introduce Butch & Bellie.

On their MySpace page Butch & Bellie explain: "we are an extremely talented homosexual rap duo - raised in the oppressive suburban enclaves in close proximity to the metropolitan areas known as BALTIMORE and BOSTON." That's perfect. What better environment than oppressive suburban enclaves to foster the growth of musical minds? What better inspiration for the spitting of venomous rhymes? In a genre where lifestyle, beats, and fashion have become boringly predictable, what better way to give underground hip hop a little bite on the cheek than with a couple of openly gay MCs?

It seems I can't stop asking questions, and all you want are answers. Fine. Butch & Bellie kick it old school with a new school flair. They've obviously absorbed the work of early Beastie Boys, Del tha Funkee Homosapien, and Slick Rick and they know the importance of fixing their rhymes and beats up all perfectly so as to inspire smiles and dancing. My guess is that's exactly what'll happen to you wherever you are when you kick out their jams "Prayer Warrior" and "Butch and Bellie". Instant partyfuntime. And, can I just mention that I LOVE the "whoa" reaction from Butch (I think) right after the first "Have A Cigar" sample kicks in in "Prayer Warrior"? Yes, okay I mentioned it. That's all. Listen, enjoy, see them live.

Listen:
"Prayer Warrior"
"Butch and Bellie"

Visit Butch & Bellie on MySpace

See Butch & Bellie live:
2 December 2006 @ Sin-é
16 December 2006 @ Pianos

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

DOPE

Anonymous said...

sbout time someone posted about butch and bellie

tina said...

Were you at the BYP???! I didn't see you! They were fucking awesome. I can't believe they got the audience to get down on their knees!

Matt said...

no no, if I was there you'd mos definitely have seen me. dancing and moving and grooving... I'm pretty ticked off I didn't make it to BYP 11.

Anonymous said...

uh oh. you can't host the files anymo?
doesn't working.

Matt said...

okay, they're back up on a different server and should be working

Anonymous said...

EarFarm we love you!!!!! Let us know which show you are going to and we will slap dat ass on the guest list.
xoxooxooxo

Bellie

Anonymous said...

one of them is my cousin.

Anonymous said...

yeah same here. ^^