23 November 2006

8+

“Alice's Restaurant Massacre" by Arlo Guthrie which clocks in at 18:36

"Remember, Sully, when I promised to kill you last? I lied."

I told you to not expect any EAR FARM posts for a while because I'm not feeling well (still ill). I also told you that I don't allow live songs here in 8+ land because short songs often get turned into long ones on stage and I feel like that's cheating (this will be the last (only) time). Oh well, guess I lied. But really - how the shit could I not post this song today? Besides, it's not like a studio version of this song would be much shorter than this quintessential live version.

Long before Adam Sandler came along, this was the de facto Thanksgiving song. It's a protest song, a Thanksgiving day story, and one of the finer pieces of satire ever laid down to music. Many radio stations across the US still roll out “Alice's Restaurant Massacre" every year on Thanksgiving and I tend to find myself listening to the song each year, at some point, on the fourth Thursday of November.

I'm going to cut things short here without a story from me this time. The song is the story. Listen to it, enjoy it, and have a happy Thanksgiving.

Buy Alice's Restaurant HERE on Amazon.

EAR FARM's 8+ is a weekly feature that showcases songs longer than 8 minutes. In the recent past these songs were featured on EF's 8+:
Suede - “The Asphalt World"
!!! - “Me and Giuliani Down by the Schoolyard (a true story)"
Bark Psychosis - “All Different Things"
Deodato - “Also Sprach Zarathustra"
Grateful Dead - “Terrapin Station"
Suicide -“Frankie Teardrop"
Red House Painters - “River"
The Human League - “Morale... / You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'"

To see a full list of every song featured in EAR FARM's 8+ click HERE.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, I was going going to throw up "Alice's Restaurant" on my blog and try and beat you, but I decided not to blow up your spot. (Also, I'm lazy.)

Anonymous said...

it seems everybody posts this on thanksgiving. good song and funny cover. Hope you get better soon.

Anonymous said...

oh my goodness.
r u ded?
GET BETTER!

Anonymous said...

no. i'm starla.

and i mean it.

Anonymous said...

Ah yes, Alice's Restaurant. I crank this out every Thanksgiving...that and Adam Sandler!
Matt