05 May 2008

Man Man, Yeasayer @ Cat's Cradle - 4 May 2008 (pics, live video/MP3s)

It's always nice to be back home and it was an extra special treat to return to the Cat's Cradle last night, for the first time in eight years, to see Man Man and Yeasayer. After all, this was the club that raised me. I wondered, having spent the last seven years seeing shows in New York clubs, what would it be like now? And how would the audience differ from NYC crowds?

My questions were answered before I even made it into the venue as I waited in line for half an hour. A line! The posted time for doors was 8:30pm, they didn't open the doors until 9pm. Funny, but I take it for granted that doors always open on time at the shows in New York. Whatever. Once inside a second difference: HOT. 80 degrees outside and no AC! But hey, that just added to the atmosphere. Which, I must say, was awesome. The Cradle looked, more or less, as I remember it. The bar was in a different spot, the walls were setup differently (they have always enjoyed shifting around the interior of the place), but ultimately it was the same old faithful venue I'd been to a hundred times before.

The room was refreshingly packed by the time Yeasayer started and the band played their final show on tour with Man Man with obvious appreciation and extra intensity. Once again, they blew me away live in a manner completely contrary to the way they come across on their album All Hour Cymbals. They're soo freaking New Wavey yet organic and rock-your-body awesome... Talking Heads circa Fear of Music mixed with Gary Numan's Telekon. I'm very very much looking forward to Yeasayer's next record and hoping it better captures their live show. Man Man blistered their way through another stellar performance, whipping the crowd into a frenzied sing along/large mosh pit within a few measures. The audience involvement, and the band's furious performance, were strikingly similar to the last time I saw them at Bowery Ballroom. Made me happy to see that the Man Man army is not solely a New York phenomenon.

Check out pictures and a live video/MP3 from each band after the jump...

Yeasayer



Listen:
"No Need To Worry" by Yeasayer (live, from this show)

Watch:
"No Need To Worry" by Yeasayer (live, from this show) on YouTube

See more Yeasayer pictures (from this show) HERE.

Visit Yeasayer on MySpace.

Man Man




Listen:
"Big Trouble" by Man Man (live, from this show)

Watch:
"Big Trouble" by Man Man (live, from this show) on YouTube

See more Man Man pictures (from this show and many others) HERE.

Visit Man Man on MySpace.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great pix and write up...
The real question remains:
Are you a NY'er
or
Do you think that nothin'
could be finer than to be
in Carolina?

Matt said...

Both! Not to be too much of a politician, but it's true. New York and North Carolina are my two favorite states. And I consider both to be home.

Anonymous said...

I was at this show as well. Do you have more video/audio of the show? If so I really want to hear the last song Yeasayer played when 4 members of Man Man joined them on stage. Do you know what the title of the song was?
I would really appreciate if you would post more of the bands (Man Man & Yeasayer) videos from that night on you tube or elsewhere.
Thanks!

pizza bag said...

I love reading and I am always searching for informative information like this! Write more informative news like this, and let's Stop Dreaming Start Action!!

celebrity hair transplant said...

Awesome pictures and interesting information and attractive.This blog is really rocking...
Yes, the post is very interesting and I really like.

thermal bags said...

Thank you for this great information, you write very well which i like very much. I am really impressed by your post.

Smith said...

Another important and well Presenting article. Good facts and viewpoints. You do a great job, and your blog IS one of my favorites.


Short term Apartments Vancouver

buy codeine online said...

Your blog is definitely worth a read if anyone comes across it. Im lucky I did because now Ive got a whole new view of this.

buy codeine online said...

Your blog is definitely worth a read if anyone comes across it. Im lucky I did because now Ive got a whole new view of this.

Natural vitamins supplements said...

Sometimes we are very concerned about our health, do not understand what to do. It is very easy to make better health. we use natural vitamin supplements. Vitamins function in many metabolic reactions that occur in foods used in the body, vitamins control and energy metabolism of our body.

Free Classified Ads said...

I enjoyed your entries on Toxic Words - such great thoughts and a wonderful reminder to watch the words I use - to be positive and kind and use words to build up rather than tear down. :)

Aciphex      said...

great job Very nice explanation.

Classified Ads Assam said...

Love your blog! Its awesome to go through testimonials of real natural products from someone you can really trust! Also like fumes. I would like for you to assessment the new water groundwork.

Classified Ads Bihar said...

I experienced your items on Deadly Phrases - such great opinions and a amazing note to enjoy what I use - to be good and variety and use words to make up rather than split down. :)

Classified Ads kerala said...

As common i am seeking some useful details, quickly i found this content and obtain some useful details great work such a great mind to use.

Classified Ads Madhya Pardesh said...

Many individuals will take edge of this credit score. This will also give us a better graphic of the property industry, as there will be no unique prize to buy after the money score is no longer available.

Sabrina Taylor said...

I experienced looking at this type of products. Thanks for giving such a great details.SO much thanks!
Classified Ads Andhra Manipur

Anonymous said...

Thank you for giving your products on blog. It is possibly that we have identical pursuits. Something are very employed to me.
Classified Ads Meghalaya

Unknown said...

The two wedding bands she exchanged with the actor in 1964 and 1975, and a ruby and diamond ring he put in her Christmas stocking one year, are also to be auctioned off.

Before the sale began, Marc Porter, chairman and president of Christie's Americas, said: "Spanning over 50 years of fashion, this is a highly personal collection, every stitch of which is reflective of Elizabeth Taylor's sense of fashion and the development of her distinctive style."
Showroom Displayslouer salle

energy consultants said...

I read and walked for miles at night along the beach, writing bad blank verse and searching endlessly for someone wonderful who would step out of the darkness and change my life. It never crossed my mind that that person could be me.

energy consultants

Unknown said...

I like what you guys are up too. Such clever work and reporting! Keep up the superb works guys I have incorporated you guys to my blogroll. I think it’ll improve the value of my website :) .advertising | advertisment| production houses in pakistan