"Look Away" by Deerhoof which clocks in at 11:45
Note to self: after dodging many opportunities to listen to advance copies of Friend Opportunity, don't forget the feeling from yesterday when you first heard the album in its entirety. As of this moment you think it's going to be one of the best albums of the year. January releases often fade into the forgotten realm come list season but this record will surely deserve at least top ten status after all of 2007 is heard and done, no? Let's revisit in December and see what's what. For now, let's talk about this one song.
To examine Deerhoof's song "Look Away" I'd like to take a look at what others are saying about it and then offer you a chance to tell us your own opinion on the song. Yeah?
- Tiny Mix Tapes notes "the disheveled mid-section of the shambling 12-minute closer"
- PopMatters says the song has "a horror show for a middle section in which everything collides"
- Prefix calls it a "clusterfuck"
- Pitchfork says "it's just an appendix"
- Allmusic calls it "an 11-minute suite-like piece"
- CokemachineGlow says that "Look Away" "almost redeems what minor faults I find with the rest of the album"
- Stylus calls the song a "seemingly aimless atonal dirge"
"Look Away", yes or no?
Buy Friend Opportunity HERE on Amazon.
EAR FARM's 8+ is a weekly feature that showcases songs longer than 8 minutes. In the recent past these songs were featured on EF's 8+:
Tan Dun - "Symphony 1997: II. Earth (Yi3)"
Jane's Addiction - "Three Days"
Joanna Newsom - "Monkey & Bear"
Depeche Mode - "Never Let Me Down Again" (Split Mix)
This Mortal Coil - "Dreams Are Like Water"
The Church - “Chaos"
Alex Skolnick Trio - “War Pigs"
Arlo Guthrie - “Alice's Restaurant Massacre"
To see a full list of every song featured in EAR FARM's 8+ click HERE.