20 October 2006

Mancino @ Union Hall - 19 October 2006

Last night was Mancino's first show at Union Hall and my second time seeing a band there. I've really enjoyed it both times I've been now. It's got great sound, a comfy atmosphere, and a nice stage. Maybe I'll try to work out an EAR FARM show there in the future?? Anyway, I got there just in time for Mancino's set and was disappointed not to have seen Mike Higbee or Driftless Pony Club as I tend to enjoy taking in as many bands on a bill as possible.

They opened their set with the standout song "Hetchie Hutchie Foochie" (which you may remember was featured on Contrast Podcast #26) and never looked back. New song after new song continually reinforced what I've known since I first heard rough demos of their new material months ago: Mancino's debut LP is set to be something special. You're going to hear songs that range from circus music to indie-dance anthems to beach tunes to nerdy time signature changes and you're going to love them all. It's music that takes a chance and demands involvement from the listener and it's a sound you're not going to find in any other band. Back to last night...

Things for the Misters Mancino were loose and relaxed as they gamboled through their set. It was refreshing to see. They're clearly very comfortable and in touch with the songs from their upcoming record and last night was a showcase of this. Each member of the band was "on" and I found myself not just watching and listening but also really digging the musicianship. Nadim got cheers mid-song during "Snakes Charms Alarms" after an organ solo...it was a kick ass solo. Jonathan held down the beat and played auxiliary percussion and like 30 other instruments; and I'll tell you what, Mike's a lot better on guitar than he realizes. Even the new guy Roland didn't miss a beat. Now, if their fans would actually start dancing to the three to four very dance worthy songs they're playing lately then the world would be a more perfect place. Maybe I'll try to start that revolution myself at one of their next shows? Perhaps. Until then - viva Mancino.

Visit Mancino on MySpace.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

saw this band in DC not too long ago and they played with a movie behind them, do they always do that? when are they coming back? great band.