28 June 2007

8+

"Hearts Alive" by Mastodon which clocks in at 13:39

Just so you're very well aware of how thoroughly my mind, and overall taste in music, is nothing more than a pile of twisted metal lately, I'd like to declare the following: Mastodon is the greatest active American band. Period. (I already typed an actual period there, I know, but I wanted to write out the word as well for extra emphasis.) Greatest. Active. American. Band. Period. (According to current internet typing trends it seems that the more periods I use. To break up. My thoughts. The more clearly. My. Point. Comes. Across. Yeah?)

If you're unfamiliar with Mastodon, this song is as good of a place as any to start. Just know what you're in for ahead of time. This is a band developing into the rightful heir to the throne once held by legends such as Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Rush, Iron Maiden, and Metallica. In the past few years they've delivered two of the very best albums of the '00s. Don't believe me/disagree? Have a listen to "Hearts Alive" and get back to me. Even if metal isn't your thing, denying the greatness of this song is impossible. Listen. You'll get a perfect taste of their mind blowing instrumental wizardry - from melodic noodling to chugging thunder riffs to blazing solos to more than enough rhythm section ridiculousity to sate your appetite for destructive aural nerditude. The vocals shift attack strategy from being gentle to growling and back again. Time changes come at you in a similar manner - like storm waves crashing into The Pequod. One moment you've got your sea legs under you in a nice and easy 4/4 - BANG. Suddenly you're off your feet, on the deck and coughing up water, with your head swirling in the eddy of an 11/8 or something. I don't know, I got caught up in my own predictable metaphor and lost count. Listen closely for copious shout outs to the music of bands like Rush, Iron Maiden, Bathory, Slayer, and more. Bathe in the song's epic thirteen-plus minutes of metal perfection. Greatest. Active. American. Band. Period.

Do you disagree? Who's better? Let's fight in the comments.

*picture from HERE

Buy Leviathan HERE on Amazon.

EAR FARM's 8+ is a weekly feature that showcases songs longer than 8 minutes. In the recent past these songs were featured on EF's 8+:
Frog Eyes - "Bushels"
Slint - "Washer"
Martin Eagle Trio - "The Hipster"
Battles - "Rainbow"
Nirvana - "Scentless Apprentice"
Jesu - "Weightless and Horizontal"
Nuh Uh - "This Is Embarrassing"
The Cure - "Carnage Visors: The Soundtrack"

To see a full list of every song featured in EAR FARM's 8+ click HERE.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

better than my morning jacket? can we even compare the two?

Anonymous said...

yes yes YES. Agreed, Earf.

Matt said...

Well, I have to say that I adore My Morning Jacket. And in my mind they're right up there with Mastodon as one of the top current US bands. Hard to argue about MMJ.

Anonymous said...

your permaboner for metal has drained nuff blood from your brain. my morning jacket and wilco. are. the. greatest. active. american. bands. period. period. "."

Anonymous said...

Sadly, you won't get any disagreement from me. "Hearts Alive" is Mastodon's finest moment so far.

Anonymous said...

when i first heard this i was just like WOW, no words can describe...
then i learnt to play most of it and my appreciation just grows with every hearing!

Anonymous said...

The Hearts Alive solo just might be my favorite guitar solo of all time.

I totally agree that Mastodon is the greatest active band in America right now.