19 October 2005

My Morning Jacket @ Webster Hall, 18 October 2005


Man, what a fantastic show those guys put on, one of the better concerts I've been to in quite some time. Such really great music - GOD what a voice too. Sheesh, I'm at a loss for words.
It was my first time seeing 'em - not sure why I stupidly missed out the last few times they came around but WOW. Who knows why they aren't playing stadiums yet but they will be. With a sound and show like that I'd imagine it won't be so long before every fan of The Allman Brothers, Dead, Led Zeppelin, etc etc is paying to see them at places like Walnut Creek, but I can hope for my sake that they don't wake up middle America just yet.

I did love their whole set, and as soon as I find the setlist and more pictures I'll post that stuff here in an update so check back. Also, if anyone recorded that show I vow to locate it and post it here.

But for now, enjoy this recording of Run Thru from the show in D.C. on the 10th.

(sorry I didn't get a definitively good, non-blurry, picture but my attention was focused on the music last night...go figure. you can thank my friend who took that pic for ensuring that there's a picture posted here at all)


UPDATE: link to the video for Off the Record

from here, a link to some sweet pictures and the setlist:

Worldless
It Beats
Gideon
One Big
Way He
Golden
Sooner
Wonderful
Off The Record
Lay Low
Dondante
Run Thru
--------
At DAwn
Hell
Mahgeeta
Anytime

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My Morning Jacket absolutely knock me stupid every time I see them. I have now had the pleasure of seeing them 7 times, and each time I am further reassured of the fact that they are the best rock act to see live today. They are great in any setting – I’ve seen them with 100 other people at small venues like The Gaelic Club in Sydney all the way to approximately 25,000 at Bonnaroo 2004. They fill any space with pure sonic energy.

I’ve been singing their praises ever since I first saw them at Bonnaroo 2003, when they were the first act to play the entire festival – 12:00 Friday morning. One year later, they played the show of the weekend at the following Bonnaroo. Previous to that first show, I was a mild fan – I enjoyed both 1999’s ‘Tennessee Fire’ and 2001’s ‘At Dawn’. However, once I saw how they brought their music to the stage I was hooked. They inject so much energy into every song, and their hair-flailing freak-outs are awesome (yes, I said AWESOME). The reverb-laden voice of Jim James is truly one of a kind. He is a masterful songwriter and a great front man. Two-Tone Tommy is the consummate bassist – he’s got the style and the skill. Patrick Hallahan absolutely beats the shit out of his drum kit (and he’s also the nicest rockstar I’ve ever met). The new members, Bo Koster and Carl Broemel really complete the band. They bring a new style to the band (as can be seen on their new album, ‘Z’, which is a fantastic album). Bo’s keyboard playing adds an almost Radiohead-esque flavor to the music. You really do have to see these guys live to get a full feeling of their greatness.

I agree with Matt, the days of seeing them in places as intimate as the TLA in Philadelphia may soon be coming to an end. With the release of ‘Z’, these guys are one step closer to being huge, and I think they’re definitely ready.