25 October 2005

Wolf Parade @ Bowery Ballroom - 10.24.05


Wolf Parade played Bowery Ballroom to a sold out audience last night. The hype for this band has been pretty amazing and I was already kind of down on them as a result before the show. They played here for CMJ but I missed it and really wanted to see if these guys could make me like them a bit more by going to see them live.

Turns out, it maybe wasn't meant to be...this Wolf Parade and me thing. I enjoyed a few songs, mostly the ones I already liked from their LP but all in all I felt non-wowed, unimpressed. I suppose, maybe, that sloppy is their thing but I can't help but think of other bands that hail from Montreal who I have enjoyed seeing live more. Would it then help me if Wolf Parade were from, say, Calgary? Probably. Is that stupid? Yep. But when the whole world is out searching for the next Arcade Fire and I'm seeing number one on that list my expectations are going to be set pretty high.

Hey look, most people there did seem to be really digging it so maybe it was just me.

Central Village was there and got some great pictures

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

its inexcusable for a venue that kicks as much tits as the bowery to have buried the vocals as much as they did on monday. of course, that could have been done intentionally because from what i could make out they were not strong at all. yet, when i saw pinback there some years back rob and armistead's vocals were absolutely shitting the bed that night but the sound guy still put them up front. i dunno, i was just all around disappointed. woe is me....