10 October 2005

Sightings of ALMOST famous people and the persistence of vomit inducing sports apparel

THIS WAS ORIGINALLY POSTED ON WHICH SIDE ARE YOU ON? ON OCTOBER 4TH, 2005


My favorite current band is British Sea Power and it's been that way since I first heard their debut album in 2003 and saw them live, here in New York, three separate times.
That being the case it makes sense that I'd jump at the chance to go see them again - this time as part of some two day festival here in Staten Island and Brooklyn. It was a bonus that Interpol was scheduled to play after British Sea Power.

So, this past Saturday I ventured to Staten Island (the one borough I'd not yet visited) via the Staten Island Ferry to check out 2 really great bands. The plan was to show up right before BSP went on and leave immediately after Interpol.
(No interest in seeing the Killers, or any of those other CRAP bands)

Very first thing I see when I walk out of my building is a supermodel sitting in a black Escalade and talking on the phone. BIG DEAL, I had better places to go.
The ferry turned out to be super easy to get to and free. As a bonus they have a bar on the thing and it goes very close to the Statue of Liberty. Once I got to Staten Island I spotted the stadium as soon as I left the ferry - very close and easy to get to.

Funny thing though, there was nobody in the stadium. Just a week earlier I went to Brooklyn to see The White Stripes in a different minor league ballpark and it was sold-out and packed, guess I expected the same here.
No dice, and thank goodness for that! I was able to get up very close and managed to really really enjoy seeing them for the fourth time even if there was a DISGUSTING hat in front of me for most of the show. What IS it about UNC gear? I see it EVERYWHERE and I know it's not a function of them having won the national championship because it's been all over the place for quite some time now, usually being worn by idiots with no idea about the university they are thus supporting - and yes, I know this for a fact because I've spoken to a few of these peckerheads and one even had such a barely functioning brain that he told me "no, I'm not a UNC fan but I DO like their coach...Coach K". Yep. Come to think of it, that kind of clueless support for the Tarheels is JUST what I'd expect from one of their fans.

BSP only played for about 45 minutes and the real bonus was after their show when Interpol came on and British Sea Power came and stood NEXT to me for the entire Interpol set. Afterwards I got to meet three of the guys in BSP and then hightailed it out of there as soon as Interpol was done.
Believe it or not, Carlos D rode the ferry back to Manhattan with us and I had just enough time to get home and change before needing to rush to the next social obligation - nobody "famous" this time. Just a friend's band playing some private party for a local magazine. It was at a small bar where you couldn't see much of the stage but their sound system is really top notch and they were giving away FREE BEER. I can't believe Wilderness played there during CMJ.

Anyway, that's the day-in-the-life from this past Saturday. Tonight is the Brakes at Pianos.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

UNC apparel is the worst!