07 September 2007

EAR FARM: Heavy Rotation

If you ever check out EAR FARM's Last.fm to get a read on what I've been listening to most recently, you're only getting a partial view of what has been spinning nonstop in my world. Often I turn off that Last.fm scrobbler thing, and I've never let it record what I listen to on my iPod. So, because I don't feel like checking in with the Elbo.ws top 10, I figured I'd instead check in with the 10 albums getting the most attention from me at the moment. There's a song from each below, and link to purchase each on Amazon/iTunes (if available).
--
Boxer by The National - If you're among the many of my friends who had been telling me for years now to listen to this band, for months to check out this album, go ahead and say "I told you so", because you did. And, as seemingly every review of this record suggests, Boxer keeps getting better and better the more I listen. "Mistaken For Strangers" is potentially my favorite song of 2007.

Liars by Liars - I adore this band and every twist and turn they've taken so far on each of their four albums. If you ask me, this most recent record is a perfect follow up to Drum's Not Dead and it's looking pretty certain that Liars will show up on my year end list of top albums.Goes Cube Songs 46, 47, 48, 49 by Goes Cube - The four most recently recorded tracks from Brooklyn's Goes Cube find the band striking on all cylinders. It's by far their best material to date, and the notion that these tracks will soon find their way onto a proper album is a frightening proposition... for their competition.
    Listen: "Goes Cube Song 46"

    (you'll have to wait a little while before you can buy these songs)
Led Zeppelin III by Led Zeppelin - I wasn't a super huge Zeppelin fan growing up - I owned IV and II and The Song Remains The Same and the box set - so I missed out on a few of their incredibly classic albums, and now I'm finally catching up. Led Zeppelin III is, in my estimation, better than II. That's saying a lot.III by Sebadoh - I've been on a huge Sebadoh kick (again, happened last year too) ever since I picked up the reissue of The Freed Man and saw them in concert earlier this week. Harmacy might be my personal favorite of their albums, but III is their best.Hold On Too Tight by Schooner - I loved Schooner before I'd heard their 2007 release Hold On Too Tight, but now I think I'm officially in love with Schooner. Their most recent record is really (really) excellent and I've been listening to it over and over for months now. Every single person I've played it for has loved it too. In it I hear touches of '50s rock, country, The Beach Boys, and long lost blissful summer nights. Among other things. You won't be able to stop listening once Hold On Too Tight has wrapped itself around you - just buy it and see for yourself.In Camera by Arthur & Yu - It's this simple: Arthur & Yu's debut is a "must buy" if you love beautiful vocals, elegant song writing, and simple production. Plus, it'll serve you well in a wide variety of listening situations - from pensive headphone moments to background music for a get together with friends. In Camera got you covered yo.Remission by Mastodon - Once I realized that my lifelong love of metal wasn't going anywhere, no matter how much fey British music I fed my ears, things got a lot easier. And louder. Basically, I went after the Mastodon albums I didn't own yet, one of which was Remission, and let the aural destruction begin. Oh yeah, and I've named my fantasy football team after the song posted here... just a little extra bit of EF trivia for you there. MOTHER PUNCHER!A Farewell to Kings by Rush - This record is like crack for music nerds. In the not too distant past of a month ago I found myself listening to my vinyl copy of A Farewell to Kings over and over and over and over again. For real, it was like 4 times in a row that I listened to it, and here I am STILL listening.Planet of Ice by Minus The Bear - Speaking of prog-rock for music nerds... I picked up Planet of Ice on a whim, thinking I didn't like Minus the Bear very much. By the time I finished the record, I was ready to listen to it again. Apparently I do that a lot. Anyway,it's a very Genesis-like love/hate thing I've got going on with Minus the Bear. Fine by me.

3 comments:

Rick McLaughlin said...

Matt, I feel your Rush pain. Last winter, I was compelled to listen to the entire Rush catalog for the first time in ages and ages. Then, just for kicks, I wrote a review of the whole catalog. It's on my blog at http://www.rickmclaughlin.com/blog.
Anyway, I'm with you.
Thanks,
Rick

Anonymous said...

araç sorgulama
sorgulama
ehliyet
açıköğretim
bağkur sorgulama
ssk sorgulama
emekli sandığı
cinsellik
radyo dinle
korku
evlilik
hikaye
gazeteler
ilan
ssk
ehliyet sınav sonuçları
iş ilanları
bağkur
gazete oku

cheap electronics said...

Matt, I feel your Rush pain. Last winter, I was compelled to listen to the entire Rush catalog for the first time in ages and ages. Then, just for kicks, I wrote a review of the whole catalog. It's on my blog at http://www.rickmclaughlin.com/blog.
Anyway, I'm with you.
Thanks,