28 September 2007

EAR FARM: Heavy Rotation

EAR FARM's Last.fm tells only part of the story, so let's check in with the 10 albums getting the most attention at EF HQ at the moment. There's a song from each album posted below, and a link to purchase each on Amazon/iTunes (if available).
--
Rust In Peace by Megadeth - If you haven't already, I bet you're finally starting to realize that my love of metal is pure, real, and entirely devoid of irony. Unless you count hair metal, but let's not go there right now. My point is, I unabashedly enjoy really good heavy metal. And Rust In Peace is much, much, more than really good. It's a metal landmark. Leading up to, and after, seeing Megadeth live this week it has been playing nonstop in my world. It's a record that has aged surprisingly well considering the era it was recorded in; in fact, I'd say that Rust In Peace sounds much better today than Metallica's two albums (Metallica and ...And Justice For All) that were recorded around the same time. All hail Megadeth.

1992 The Love Album by Carter The Unstoppable Sex Machine - This is one of those inexplicably defining albums for me. It came out right around the time that I'd just gotten my driver's license (thus, many hours spent in a car listening to CDs), was full of synth-punk attitude with catchy lyrics, and sated my massive thirst for overtly English music. Alright, not exactly inexplicable. Carter U.S.M. has always been looked down upon by many with "good" taste - f'ing morons.Dandelion Gum by Black Moth Super Rainbow - I'm finding it odd that, in 2007, Black Moth Super Rainbow is where I'm generally turning for my fix of psychedelia, and not to Animal Collective. It's hard to explain because I feel like Strawberry Jam is the "better" record, but Dandelion Gum is just endlessly more appealing to my ears. I can't help but think of NYC foodie based similes when comparing the two bands: Animal Collective's latest is like listening to Wylie Dufresne's mad scientist tasting menu and Dandelion Gum is like a nice large bowl of the Momofuku ramen at Momofuku. I suggest trying both records, and both dining experiences, and then get back to me. Sorry, blame the bands - they're the ones with the edible album titles.We Are Him by Angels Of Light - Darkness. Madness. Genius. Are you listening to this record yet, or WHAT?Manners Matter by Mancino - Slowly, but surely, people are catching on to Mancino and their debut album Manners Matter. I wish I could say I'm surprised that it's taking everyone so long to realize how excellent this band is, but frankly it doesn't surprise me one bit. Not because their songs have a long gestation period, per se, but rather because indie-rock fans are a tad too insecure for their own good sometimes. Anyway, buy this album. And then see Mancino LIVE at EAR FARM's Second Annual Halloween Show - 31 October @ Club Europa in Brooklyn.Beautiful Targets by Hopewell - Hopewell literally reaches for the stars with their soaring, anthemic, psychedelic-infused rock. They blend the romantic ambition of Bowie with the spaced-out snarl of Spiritualized and what comes out is pop-rock that's, in a word, immense. In some ways slightly out of time, Hopewell would've been a huge success in the '70s. Today they've found a home in the realm of indie-rock performing alongside bands such as British Sea Power, Elefant, the Comas, and the Brian Jonestown Massacre. You can see Hopewell LIVE at EAR FARM's Second Annual Halloween Show - 31 October @ Club Europa in Brooklyn.Goes Cube Songs 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 by Goes Cube - When some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the barroom wall, looks you crooked in the eye and asks you if ya paid your dues, you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and you remember what ol' Goes Cube always says at a time like that: "Have ya paid your dues, Goes Cube?" "Yessir, the check is in the mail." Huh? Oh, that's a play on a line from the classic film Big Trouble In Little China. I like that film almost as much as I like this band. For some reason, the two seem to go together. To me at least. See Goes Cube LIVE at EAR FARM's Second Annual Halloween Show - 31 October @ Club Europa in Brooklyn
    Listen: "Goes Cube Song 46"

    (you'll have to wait a little while before you can buy these songs)
A Farewell to Kings by Rush - Still listening. Over and over. Rush rules! "Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose..." Wait, that's not on A Farewell to Kings, that's from "Circumstances" on Hemispheres. Whatever. Shut up nerd.I Can't Sleep Unless I Hear You Breathing by Man In Gray - Is it a crime to find the first three tracks on an album "enough" upon first listen? Not in a bad way, at all, but more like "dude, those songs rocked me, fair and square... uncle!" I'm finding that happens more and more with me (call it 2K ADD) and that's kind of where I was when I first listened to I Can't Sleep Unless I Hear You Breathing. I took in, and enjoyed, the whole album, but what I kept going back to were the first three songs. They're blistering guitar slice and dice material. Pretty Girls Make Graves/Sonic Youth territory. Well, though I've had this record for many months, it wasn't until much later that I realized the depth of I Can't Sleep Unless I Hear You Breathing. Listen to a sample below - the song "Crawl" is the album's solar plexus. An accelerating anthem of understated pop with spaced out guitars that evolve into crash and burn emoting, handclaps, and dueling solos. A thrilling four and a half minutes to be sure. See Man In Gray LIVE at the EAR FARM and Serious Business Records CMJ show - 17 October @ Bar Matchless.Baby Comes Home by Patrick Cleandenim - I liked old-school revivalists Stray Cats, Harry Connick Jr., and Squirrel Nut Zippers upon first hearing them; likewise, I am enjoying Cleandenim's Baby Comes Home. It's happy cocktail music and it makes me want to dance. In a suit. Time will tell if this is a keeper, or just a passing fancy.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I can't help but think of NYC foodie based similes when comparing the two bands: Animal Collective's latest is like listening to Wylie Dufresne's mad scientist tasting menu and Dandelion Gum is like a nice large bowl of the Momofuku ramen at Momofuku."

Pretty amazingly put EARF. Though I have yet to listen to BMSR this just gave me added incentive

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry about Rush. I am similarly afflicted. However, Farewell to Kings...really?! OK,I guess you really can't help yourself. I understand. Thanks for Hopewell.

Matt said...

heck yeah A Farewell to Kings! i mean, just for "Xanadu" and "Cygnus X-1" it's worth many listens... then again, i'm a long song guy so, yeah.

Anonymous said...

Mmm. Patrick Cleandenim.

Anonymous said...

牙醫,植牙,假牙|矯正|牙周病,牙醫診所植牙,紋身,刺青,創業,批發,TATTOO,皮膚科,痘痘,雷射脈衝光除斑,洗包包|洗鞋子|清洗包包,中醫,腫瘤,腎臟病,僵直性脊椎炎,飛梭雷射,肉毒桿菌,玻尿酸,痘痘,脈衝光,醫美,毛孔粗大,醫學美容,seo,關鍵字行銷,關鍵字自然排序,網路行銷,關鍵字自然排序,關鍵字行銷seo,關鍵字廣告,網路行銷,seo,關鍵字行銷,關鍵字廣告,關鍵字,自然排序,部落格行銷,網路行銷,網路爆紅,牛舌餅

Anonymous said...

a片,成人網站,av女優,h漫,成人影片,免費a片,情趣用品,色情,微風成人,情色,sex,成人電影,聊天室,美女交友,辣妹視訊,視訊聊天室,成人交友,美女視訊,聊天室,美女交友,辣妹視訊,視訊聊天室,成人交友,美女視訊,成人網站,情色,情趣用品,色情,sex,免費a片,h漫,av女優,成人影片,a片,微風成人,成人電影,聊天室,美女交友,辣妹視訊,視訊聊天室,成人交友,美女視訊,聊天室,美女交友,辣妹視訊,視訊聊天室,成人交友,美女視訊,成人電影,成人網站,情色,情趣用品,色情,sex,免費a片,h漫,av女優,成人影片,a片,微風成人,聊天室,美女交友,辣妹視訊,視訊聊天室,成人交友,美女視訊,聊天室,美女交友,辣妹視訊,視訊聊天室,成人交友,美女視訊

Anonymous said...

Discount Ugg Boots
Cheap Ugg Boots Sale
Discount Uggs Boots

peter said...

they played mac's a while ago and i kicked myself for not going. i heard that show was supurb. i'm hoping to see them sometime soon
Mühle kaufen im Rheingauhome at work

lvv said...

"I can't help but think of NYC foodie based similes when comparing the two bands: Animal Collective's latest is like listening to Wylie Dufresne's mad scientist tasting menu and Dandelion Gum is like a nice large bowl of the Momofuku ramen at Momofuku."

Pretty amazingly put EARF. Though I have yet to listen to BMSR this just gave me added incentive
Brazilian Blowout Sydneyorange county mortgage

lvv said...

"I can't help but think of NYC foodie based similes when comparing the two bands: Animal Collective's latest is like listening to Wylie Dufresne's mad scientist tasting menu and Dandelion Gum is like a nice large bowl of the Momofuku ramen at Momofuku."

Pretty amazingly put EARF. Though I have yet to listen to BMSR this just gave me added incentive
MIAMI INTERIOR DESIGNERSas per excel spreadsheet

peter said...

"I can't help but think of NYC foodie based similes when comparing the two bands: Animal Collective's latest is like listening to Wylie Dufresne's mad scientist tasting menu and Dandelion Gum is like a nice large bowl of the Momofuku ramen at Momofuku."

Pretty amazingly put EARF. Though I have yet to listen to BMSR this just gave me added incentive
home safesvoice artists perth

mary said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mary said...
This comment has been removed by the author.