14 September 2007

EAR FARM: Heavy Rotation

EAR FARM's Last.fm tells only part of the story, so let's check in with the 10 albums getting the most attention at EF HQ at the moment. There's a song from each album posted below, and a link to purchase each on Amazon/iTunes (if available).
--
We Are Him by Angels Of Light - I can't claim to be an expert on Michael Gira, Swans, or anything from Young God Records, but what I've heard I really really like. And out of those records I've heard, We Are Him is the best so far - it's been getting a lot of attention from me this past week. Worth checking out if you're into the intimate, open-road, darkness of artists such as Nick Cave.

Strawberry Jam by Animal Collective - Here are what two trusted friends of mine have said about this album: "it sounds like a major label dude was like 'okay guys, we're gonna hole you up in electric ladyland and i want some WEIRDNESS from you!'" - "listening to the new Animal Collective album is like talking to you (meaning me) when you've recently had a rather large iced coffee". Somehow, I think they've managed to pretty much nail what this record sounds like with those statements.Boxer by The National - I "discovered" this one in late July (but have owned it since the day it came out) one night while I was trying to fall asleep. It clicked with me something fierce that night and I've been listening a ton ever since. Again, "Mistaken For Strangers" is potentially my favorite song of 2007.Liars by Liars - My love of this album is waning a bit since I fell head over heels for it upon first listen. I'm now skipping a few tracks each time, but those 5 or 6 songs that I love on here, I really love.Goes Cube Songs 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 by Goes Cube - Last week it was only 46, 47, 48, 49, now I'm listening to the eight most recently recorded tracks from Brooklyn's Goes Cube and there's no question that the album these songs finally end up on will flat out dominate. If this world were a cartoon, and I Popeye, then "Goes Cube Song 46" would be my spinach.
    Listen: "Goes Cube Song 46"

    (you'll have to wait a little while before you can buy these songs)
Hold On Too Tight by Schooner - I'm friends with members of this band, they're from my hometown, therefore I might be a bit biased; however, I have no doubt that this is one of better records put out in 2007 by anyone. Like The National's Boxer, this one gets better and better the more you listen.Always Now by Section 25 - Always Now is an album that I got back in the day via Napster, and then lost. Only recently I thought of Section 25 again, found this album on eMusic, and happily spent 19 of my monthly downloads getting back in touch with another of Factory's many great, largely unknown, bands. For those who are fans of PiL, or especially Joy Division, definitely check out Section 25. In fact, the song posted below was produced by none other than Ian Curtis.Master Of Reality by Black Sabbath - I share a birthday with Ozzy, maybe that's why I've always been so enamored/in touch with his music. Or maybe it's just because he's always had outstanding guitarists as bandmates. I mean, let's face it, Tony Iommi's riffs (and Geezer Butler's bass work) are what made Black Sabbath - shit, it's what made heavy metal as we know it. All hail Sabbath!I'll Sleep When You're Dead by El-P - This one is for all ya'll fools out there who think that there's no such thing as great current hip-hop. Forget about Fiddy and Kanye, I'll Sleep When You're Dead by El-P (featuring Mars Volta, Trent Reznor, and Cat Power) is the best rap record I've heard so far in '07. An excellent soundtrack for your iPod while you cruise the streets and subways late at night.The Stage Names by Okkervil River - Some records are perfect for listening to in an office setting, but then also just as great to take home and really get into in private. The Stage Names is definitely one such record. Here Will Sheff/Okkervil River have crafted very fine American pop-rock that isn't too odd/distracting for the general public to hear playing in the background; and yet, they've also scored big on the nuances/lyrics/small touches. I'm hoping this band will continue to grow into their art and songwriting - Black Sheep Boy might be the better record, but I think I like The Stage Names better.

2 comments:

Passion of the Weiss said...

Agreed about Liars. half the songs are just noise and feedback, but my god, those good ones are skull-crushingly brilliant. "Sailing to Byzantium" might be the best track of the year. I think I might need to write about this record.

Anonymous said...

I couldn't help but notice you forgot to mention Sabbath's GREAT DRUMMER Mr. BILL WARD and to forget him when writing about this DRUM CARRIED song is...I don'tknow PRETTY LAME...Yes LAME that's the TICKET!! I MEAN REALLY DUDE CHECK OUT THE DRUMS they are the VERY BEST PART of this Sab CLASSIC!!!
Cheers!, Henry Ponds