04 April 2006

Limbs

Limbs recently recorded and released a new EP titled Suspension. It was recorded at Zero Mass studio in Brooklyn, which is also where Limbs is from. You should SO get with it and get this new EP AND go see Limbs live. Wait, you might ask, who's this Limbs?

Limbs is another great Brooklyn band that's barely begun to get the attention their music deserves. You may remember a previous EF post about them and their live show I saw in December...? The duality of their music drew me in that night and I kept thinking (at the time) that they were a band worth keeping an eye on. As if they maybe had potential to grow further within their own sound. Well, I'll be getting the new EP soon enough but, having listened to the three songs from it that are posted on the Limbs MySpace page I can say it appears they've only developed their sound more since I last saw them live.

What is their sound? When listening to Limbs (and particularly the three new songs from Suspension I've heard), the bands I'm reminded of most clearly are early Folk Implosion and Slint. If you like either of those bands, don't miss out on Limbs. The music they make is informed by angular post-punk yet aims to achieve a certain kind of quiet indie-rock/pop. The vocals ride nicely in the mix and guide you along like Charon through the hushed melodic mood and active drums and guitars. Did I really just say that? Yep, sorry. Oh well...just get to listening and I'll stop with the Greek mythology.

Listen:
"Silver Fetters"

BUY Suspension on the Limbs MySpace page

SEE Limbs live on April 15th at Cake Shop

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ear farm, you're a bozo. but this music is good.

Anonymous said...

sounds exactly like unwound...