19 December 2005

BANDS - The Syrup Room, 16 December 2005 (Print, Limbs, Bells Bells Bells, The Art of Shooting, Susu)

JezebelMusic helped put together a very cool show this past Friday night. Sadly I missed seeing Print, so I'll have to find another time to check them out...but I heard they were LOUD. Word.

On to the bands I did see.

Limbs









Limbs caught me a bit by surprise. I had checked them out online and liked their stuff (it reminded me of Pinback + Interpol, which might be surprising to the guys in the band) , but not as much as I liked it once I saw these guys live. I'm interested to catch them live again because in person they had a catchy raw rock sound - either way, listen to this song of theirs: Limbs - "Complications"


Bells Bells Bells









Bells Bells Bells was kinda the opposite for me. Hearing their music online I could tell they were drawing from influences that I love (maybe some PJ Harvey, Souixsie) but then live I wasn't that impressed. Given how many factors go into such opinionatings, I'm not letting that sway my opinion too much. Listen: Bells Bells Bells - "Natalie"


The Art of Shooting









Do I have a music crush on The Art of Shooting? So what if I do? Look, Amy and Kelly rocked that motha on Friday night and the crowd loved them. LOVED. And I realized that their drummer Oliver reminds me a bit of Stephen Morris in his playing...who was the girl on keys?










Anyway, sorry about the blur there on the pictures and yes, that's Billy from Other Passengers there front and center in the 2nd picture rocking out to The Art of Shooting. K, listen time. This song is one of the better songs I've heard this year, by anyone. I'm not kidding. EAR FARM has linked to it before, and there's more goodness like this on their EP so go GIT it: The Art of Shooting - "Lost in Boredom"


SUSU









I missed seeing SUSU the last time they played and if I can help it, I won't miss them again. This band did NOT disappoint me and the whole time I was just left thinking 'they sound so damn GOOD'. They have a CD release show coming up at Sin-e in January and I'd not be surprised to see them moving on up the ranks of the NYC scene soon after that.










In fact, I'll be going to see The Wedding Present at the Bowery Ballroom in March...SUSU should totally be the opening band! Proof? Here: SUSU - "In The Pool"

UPDATE - I forgot to mention it but if you were there on Friday night, how about you share YOUR opinions of the bands here in the comments, k?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The girl on keys was Miss Karen Mickley. She is previously of Violator, and the musical cousin (A.k.a. girlfriend) of Oliver from A Place To Bury Strangers. The loudest band in NY. She likes her business LOUD.
Next time you'll be able to hear her. This time she got to be my backup dancer.
you're really nice to us matt.

Anonymous said...

I went with my girl friend because she told me she saw Art of Shooting at the last show they played. Okay, the venue was wayy far away in the middle of nothing and sketchy but inside it was lotsof fun. And your wrong about Bells, they were just as good as every one else who all made great music.

Anonymous said...

I like this Limbs stuff...really great. sounds like Stars mixed with something like Arcade Fire...either way, neat stuff!

Anonymous said...

i doubt you missed much by not seeing print

Anonymous said...

whatev, print rules

Anonymous said...

Print WAILS!
They started the night off perfectly and blew everyone's brains out. Limbs killed it, sounding better than other times, TAOS always rule, and SUSU was a sick night cap. Strong bill, good venue.
BBB were weak, but it seemed an off night for them maybe, or having technical difficulties f'ed em up. They also weren't exactly right for this bill.

Anonymous said...

福~
「朵
語‧,最一件事,就。好,你西.................