29 December 2005

Islands

I'm not playing that 'band to watch for in 2006' game. No how, no way. If I was, I'd take this moment to reiterate the fact that Islands come close to topping my list of bands whose 2006 album I can't wait to hear. You know them already, right? They're two thirds of The Unicorns plus something like 5 other people. Having heard a bunch of their songs online and when I saw them live recently I can safely say that you WILL like this band. Or, you will like them if you enjoy something along the lines of Graceland era Paul Simon mixed with Who Will Cut Our Hair When We're Gone? as well as some general free thinking creative song-ing.

The sounds, the wonderful sounds! What else can I say? I've been quite attached to ANYthing done by The Unicorns and things I've heard so far from Islands make me hopeful for what the future has in store. With that in mind, I declare today Islands Thursday*.

Visit Islands on MySpace

Listen:
1. "Rough Gem"
2. "Flesh"
3. "Abominable Snow"
(tracks 2 and 3 found at The Simple Mission right here)

*due to the massive lack of Islands related things online I think that Islands Thursday may actually only be made up of two posts, unless someone can point us in the direction of more...

(photo was found at the Secret Unicorns Forum Image Cave here)