01 December 2005

Pandora


This was sent to EAR FARM by Jonathan - you can thank him. He said:
"I have a link that will revolutionize your entire life at work. Put in the name of a band you like, and it makes you a custom radio station based on that style. It's pretty darned accurate most of the time."
Oh OH? What IS it??
It's Pandora created by the Music Genome Project.

Ever since we started the Music Genome Project, our friends would ask:
Can you help me discover more music that I'll like?
Those questions often evolved into great conversations. Each friend told us their favorite artists and songs, explored the music we suggested, gave us feedback, and we in turn made new suggestions. Everybody started joking that we were now their personal DJs. We created Pandora so that we can have that same kind of conversation with you.
Fascinating I say. So I tried it out. I entered "Rusholme Ruffians" (a track off of one of my top five albums of all time Meat is Murder) and here's the songs it started playing for me:
1. "Unlovable" by The Smiths - um, that's an easy fit. almost cheating.
2. "Vampire" by Sebadoh - wow, I already loved this song. is this thing working? don't go giving away next week's "Overlooked Album" there Pandora.
3. "Destinymanifesto" by Logh - who? don't know this band but liked the song...must research.
4. "The Boy with the Thorn in His Side" by The Smiths - okay, Pandora you got me. I do love this band.
5. "Daughter" by Pearl Jam - yikes. is anyone watching? because I secretly am really enjoying "Daughter" by Pearl Jam right about now.
6. "Of Montreal" by The Stills - always been so-so on this band but this song is nice.
Then it stopped the music and asked me to sign up for a free account. I think I might. It was totally like having a good radio station almost catered directly to my tastes (almost I said, and no I don't like Pearl Jam)...now I am seeing why it's called Pandora!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey man, I lost my virginity to Pearl Jam, don't knock it.

Anonymous said...

He's lying anyway. He loves Pearl Jam--he told me so.
Remember Pavement? Exactly. You said, "I have that SAME shirt!" And that's why you dreamt it.
EFM+EVxRED&BLUESHIRT=YOULIE!!!