15 May 2006

Giant Drag, Pretty Girls Make Graves @ Irving Plaza, 13 May 2006

I must say, I didn't expect to miss all of the set by the first band, The Joggers, given that I was aiming to arrive right around 9pm but I did. It's a shame as I'd like to have had a chance to check them out live. Oh well, another time. Frankly, they were a complete afterthought anyway. I went to Irving Plaza on Saturday to see Giant Drag and Pretty Girls Make Graves.

The last time Giant Drag (pictured above) was in town I had tickets but ended up not going. Why? Can't remember, which makes me think the decision to sell those tickets was totally not worth it. Thankfully, Annie (vocals, guitar) and Micah (drums, bass sounds via pedals) gave me another chance on Saturday. The show was everything I expected it would be, except sold out. What's that? No, I mean it definitely was not sold out. Nice for me, probably not so nice for the bands. Anyway, Annie was bringing the funny between songs as I expected. Or, as I'd already read about elsewhere. Though, somehow I was still not fully ready for what it'd be like to have her talking about having her heart (and hymen) broken by Chris Isaak when she was eight. Yep. She's got this wicked deadpan delivery paired with a voice that sounds even more baby-ish than that of Sarah Vowell, so the jokes are fully effective. The real kicker, though, is that she delivers with musical force. Throughout a Giant Drag set you're bound to be reminded of other '90s era female rockers like PJ Harvey, Mazzy Star, Liz Phair, Hole, Frente, etc. I highly recommend checking them out live or buying their album.

After Giant Drag, there seemed to be a bit of an exodus. Obviously, some folks were there just for Giant Drag. Again, fine by me as I got to get a nice spot in the center of the room for Pretty Girls Make Graves (pictured to the right). Oh yeah, and they're the band I really wanted to see. It'd been a while since I last saw them live and since then they changed their sound a bit and added a keyboard player/lost a guitarist. Fact is, the new songs from Elan Vital sounded awesome live as did the old ones and I went home happy with a shirt and my fourth Pretty Girls Make Graves concert notch on my belt. I'd give you more, but I have to run to get ready for G n' R tonight.

Read more about the show HERE and HERE.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, really is too bad you had to miss the Joggers. They went on so prompt in DC too, so the start was sort of unexpected. But I was suprised that their stuff sounded really excellent. Actually very danceable, and technically very on. great sound.
Yes, and similiarties here, not a sold out show, though, pretty crowded for a Monday night.
Went in not knowing the majority of Giant Drag's output, and I almost sat them out, but the performance was great. I don't know if I'm down for Amy's banter, but the delivery is on.
And yeahh, PGMG's new stuff sounded great live.

Anyhow, babbling, but definitely a good show. :)