04 May 2006

8+

"Rubies" by Destroyer which clocks in at 9:25

Twist my arm and call me Sally. I've never cared a bunch for Destroyer. Up until yesterday I owned only one album and saw them live (and by them I, of course, mean Dan Bejar and others back in October of '05, when EF was but a baby) and didn't care for it at all really. I sampled a small bit of Bejar's music and thought it was annoying and boring. Is that stupid? Hey, whatever, that's just where I'm coming from. Now here I am telling you that you shouldn't make the same mistake as me. All of those people telling ya'll to get with it and check out Destroyer's Rubies are not, in fact, crazy. They know what they're saying. I've owned it only a day and I'm about to put it up on the right over there under favorite albums released so far this year.

Speaking of favorite albums released so far this year, the song we've got here marks the second time (so far...see the first HERE) that an 8+ song is the lead track on one of those albums. I used to think that such a move was insane. To me, you'd bury a song like "Swans" or "Rubies" somewhere deep into the album. Maybe like the second to last track or something...a place where it'd be like, "if you've gotten this far, then you won't mind us laying an 8+ on yo ass". But naw, Destroyer put "Rubies" right up front. As if to say, "this is my new album, take it or leave it, bitch."

Buy Destroyer's Rubies HERE on Merge's site, HERE on Amazon, or HERE on iTunes.

EAR FARM's 8+ is a weekly feature that showcases songs longer than 8 minutes. In the recent past these songs were featured on EF's 8+:
British Sea Power - "Lately"
Islands - "Swans"
Isolée - "Pillowtalk"
Animal Collective - "Banshee Beat"
Wilderness - "Post Plethoric Rhetoric"
The Wedding Present - "Interstate 5"
Sleater-Kinney - "Let's Call It Love"
My Morning Jacket - "Dondante"
Wilco - "Spiders (Kidsmoke)"
Isis - "From Sinking"
Lemon Jelly - "A Tune For Jack"
Herbie Hancock - "Sly"
New Order - "Temptation"
Polvo - "El Rocio"
Pulp - "Countdown"
Morrissey - "The Teachers Are Afraid of the Pupils"
Dungen - "Du är för fin för mig"
Loose Fur - "Wreckroom"
The Who - "A Quick One, While He's Away"

4 comments:

Jennings said...

Hey, thanks for the OPP shout . . . and, the 8+ is one of the best "series" in all the blogs.

Keep on, keep on.

Bruce said...

Definitely digging the series. How about some classic rock classics like Iron Butterfly's Inna Gadda Davida or The Chambers Brothers "Time Has Come Today"?

Bruce from www.somevelvetblog.blogspot.com

Matt said...

don't worry Bruce. there's a bunch of classic rock that will show up here.

Bryan said...

totally off topic... matt yr email is bouncing back. i'll send that info to your myspace.