02 March 2006

8+

"A Tune For Jack" by Lemon Jelly which clocks in at 9:34

Not every week will be a theme week where the 'Overlooked' and '8+' features fit together nicely, so don't go getting used to such conveniences. It just so happens that I thought now (after checking out a DJ album yesterday) would be a perfect time to post this song by Lemon Jelly as a "cool down" of sorts after the raucous mix by Mr. Howlett.

I don't know a ton about Lemon Jelly and I'm not going to bother go pretending like I do. I got their album LemonJelly .KY from a friend at work in 2001 who had no clue what my taste in music was like. That's such a great way to get CDs sometimes...this is definitely not an album I'd seek out for myself. Not that I don't enjoy music by artists like Thievery Corporation and Kruder & Dorfmeister (which is who Lemon Jelly reminds me of) it's just that I never go out of my way to listen to stuff like this. Regardless, this one track is pretty snazzy. When I first got the CD I used to listen to "A Tune For Jack" walking around the city and it made me feel a little bit like I was a character in an Elmore Leonard novel. Wait until the Leonard Cohen-ish samples come in around 3:45 and you'll see what I mean.

BUY LemonJelly .KY HERE.

Visit Lemon Jelly on MySpace

The picture you see is from the downloads section of their site where you can find some neat stuff...check out the second screensaver.

EAR FARM's 8+ is a weekly feature that showcases songs longer than 8 minutes. In the recent past these songs were featured on EF's 8+:
British Sea Power - "Lately"
Islands - "Swans"
Isolée - "Pillowtalk"
Animal Collective - "Banshee Beat"
Wilderness - "Post Plethoric Rhetoric"
The Wedding Present - "Interstate 5"
Sleater-Kinney - "Let's Call It Love"
My Morning Jacket - "Dondante"
Wilco - "Spiders (Kidsmoke)"
Isis - "From Sinking"

2 comments:

Unknown said...

you have a really organized blog, it's so nice...
keep on writing here !!!!
.::SINA::.

tim said...

Seek out Lemon Jelly's "Nice Weather for Ducks" from Lost Horizons
It's really fantastic...


peopleofpaper