26 June 2006

Other Passengers, Susu, Die Romantik @ Tonic, 24 June 2006

I'm embarrassed to say this but, this weekend was my first time seeing a show at Tonic. I've almost gone a few times in the past but things just never worked out for some reason. So, yes, I did make it there for Saturday night's show. No, not this show, the other show that happened at Tonic on Saturday night.

Other Passengers
Other Passengers will rule your world. That's the disclaimer that should be posted along with each announcement that they're playing a live show. Seeing an Other Passengers show is a double slap across the face that makes you remember how you felt when you first saw Syd-era Pink Floyd and then makes you realize you're not old enough for memories like that. No, you must've been thinking about what it was like in your imagination all those times you thought about how fucking cool it would be to see an experimentally inclined rock band play a show in a small club. A band that uses video projection as a backdrop, nay, kinda wears the video projection. Other Passengers has a lead singer cut from the same mold as Ian Curtis/Jim Morrison, has a sound that will knock you on your ass and make your head spin, and has a new full-length coming out SOON. Get with it.

Listen:
"Bank"

Visit Other Passengers on MySpace.

Susu
Dear Susu, how I love thee...let me count the ways. One, I adore Andrea's guitar and vocals. Seriously. Two, Mike's bass work and alternating vocals with Andrea kick ass. Three, Justin tears it up on the drum kit and is also a bunch of fun to watch play. Makes me want to jump around and break things. That's right, and that's a good thing. I didn't break things during your set but I might've jumped around a bit. At least I definitely was pumping my first in the air, at times, like some cross between a Black Panther and a kid at a high school pep rally. Yeah, sorry about that. But when I hear "In The Pool" and "Sawtooth" I just can't help it. Susu is a band that really matters. One of those bands that makes me want to start a record label just so I can be sure you're recording more music and getting it out there for more people to hear. Hey, whatever, it's the truth. I thought it on Saturday night when I was, er, with bourbon, and I'm still thinking it today. So, cheers Susu, nice to meet you guys finally, and thanks for the great music!

Note to my cat - watch out. I got Susu's new album on Saturday night and this might lead to some at-home jumping around/Susu induced pep rally-like behavior. I'm not a freak, I swear. Some music just makes you want to SCREAM. Wooo hooo SUSU!

Listen:
"Sawtooth"

Visit SUSU on MySpace.

Die Romantik
I ended up needing to run Saturday night before even really hearing any of Die Romantik's set. Basically, I snapped a picture and took off to get some much needed food (drinking on an empty stomach - lunacy or idiocy?). But I did want to be able to tell you guys (again) about this band. From the tiny bit I heard on my way out, their sound is being finely tuned. Slightly evolving. Maybe very similar to what it's been in the past but now with teeth. Or something. Don't get me wrong, I still stand by my previous description of their sound; so for whatever reason sparks your desire, you should go see them when you get the chance.

Listen:
"Tik Tok"

Watch:
"Nattmusik Fur Linnea"

Visit Die Romantik on MySpace.


ps - how was Final Fantasy anyway?

UPDATE - slacker Brooklyn Vegan finally posted a very nice write-up of the Final Fantasy show.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah, also, the video projection thing...blech, a little pompous, kind of like people in bands wearing suits....sad. Great post though

Eric Hagemann said...

yeah, down with the suit-wearing, susu-breathed sissies!

Anonymous said...

yeah people in bands shouldnt wear suits. that's totally pompous. suits are reserved for people who do serious things like making lots of money. it's much more appropriate for people in bands to wear rags.

Anonymous said...

People in bands should wear money. Suits are for people with hands. People in bands shouldn't have hands. A mort les communistes! Pouet. I would have like to see this show...

tablet pc barato said...

Oh my god, there is a great deal of worthwhile data above!