08 June 2006

8+

"I Want Your Sex, Pts. 1 &2" by George Michael which clocks in at 9:17

Little boys are as naturally interested in sex as they are video games, toys, sports, spiders, pizza, or anything else. They just never really let on to it openly until they get to middle school. And, even then they're barely open about it. It's more of a caged tiger kind of obviously perplexed frustration. By high school things start moving in the direction of normalcy but nothing really gets ironed out in terms of how to manage sex, sexual desires, and fantasies, for males until...er, 40? I'm not sure. I'm guessing.

"I Want Your Sex, Pts. 1 &2" came out in January of 1987. That means I was just barely eleven years old and in...5th grade. Ah yes. Back in those days is when I first remember sex starting to come to the forefront of my thoughts. A few girls in class were starting to develop (ever so slightly, but the boys were noticing) and I was just realizing the potential that existed for me to steal a certain issue of Sports Illustrated each February. My dad had a subscription, you see, and on one glorious day in January of 1987 it occurred to me that I could basically camp out and guarantee that I was the first person to see the swimsuit issue. To have and keep the swimsuit issue in my bedroom for ever and ever. Mine! What I did was very simple: I started to offer to go and get the mail for my mom. Every single day. From early January until the issue arrived. Each day seemed like a week back then. I had no way of knowing exactly when it would come, but I knew that some day during February I would be rewarded. In the second week of February I got just what I wanted and went right to my room with it. The 1987 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue with Elle Macpherson on the cover (pictured above). Believe it or not, that same week, I also got George Michael's Faith. Sex was in the air.

Remember now, I was but eleven years old. No, not some young creepy ass kid jerking off to models in swimsuits. Not yet at least. No, then I was just your regular boy growing up in a regular US suburb trying to figure out what sex was all about. And I'm telling you that my guides at the time were the SI Swimsuit Issue and this song. Trying to decipher lyrics like the following, it's no wonder I was clueless for years...

It's natural
It's chemical (let's do it)
It's logical
Habitual (can we do it?)
It's sensual
But most of all.....
Sex is something that we should do
Sex is something for me and you
Buy Faith HERE on Amazon.

EAR FARM's 8+ is a weekly feature that showcases songs longer than 8 minutes. In the recent past these songs were featured on EF's 8+:
British Sea Power - "Lately"
Islands - "Swans"
Isolée - "Pillowtalk"
Animal Collective - "Banshee Beat"
Wilderness - "Post Plethoric Rhetoric"
The Wedding Present - "Interstate 5"
Sleater-Kinney - "Let's Call It Love"
My Morning Jacket - "Dondante"
Wilco - "Spiders (Kidsmoke)"
Isis - "From Sinking"
Lemon Jelly - "A Tune For Jack"
Herbie Hancock - "Sly"
New Order - "Temptation"
Polvo - "El Rocio"
Pulp - "Countdown"
Morrissey - "The Teachers Are Afraid of the Pupils"
Dungen - "Du är för fin för mig"
Loose Fur - "Wreckroom"
The Who - "A Quick One, While He's Away"
Destroyer - "Rubies"
Neu! - "Fuer Immer (forever)"
Iggy Pop - "Mass Production"
The Cure - "Fascination Street" (Extended Mix)
Yo La Tengo - "Let's Be Still"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I smiled when I saw this song and the fun write-up. What I couldn't believe is that I didn't have this song in my library. I owe you one.

Anonymous said...

Matt!
You make me laugh.
I love this post.
Perfect.

DJ Detroit Butcher said...

Nice rememberence. Would have been even cooler if you'd posted the THIRTEEN MINUTE version of this song ("I Want Your Sex Part 1, 2 & 3") from the 12 inch single!

Matt said...

Tony, I don't have that 12"!!! I NEED IT!