14 March 2007

Goes Cube Tour Day Eight

Yesterday I awoke in a child's bed, it was the best sleep I've had so far during the tour. That's not supposed to be a metaphor. I literally slept in the room of the son of the kind people we're staying with. And no, I didn't forcibly take the kid's bed away from him - it was offered to me. I attempted to politely refuse to no avail.

Shortly thereafter Kenny, Matt, and I headed out to locate a cable so that I could make a copy of the evidence I currently have in my possession. Then, while I worked on some videotape duplication and website maintenance, the band went bowling. Around 8pm we made our way over to the venue to load in, grab some food (yet another grilled chicken sandwich for me), and get settled. Goes Cube was to be the second of the two bands playing.

The first band, Black Tie Revue, took the stage around 10pm and hit the ground running with their surgical pop infused power rock. I'm not sure you'll hear it in the song I posted below, but during their show (when the sound wasn't baaad) I got a sense of some Buzzcocks mixed with Oasis and Blur. I can't believe Pittsburgh has been keeping this band a secret. These guys are super tight and know how to weave sharp hooks into their dual guitar attack. I'm telling you, Black Tie Revue is destined to find many fans with the upcoming release of their new record. Great guys too. I look forward to seeing them again in Austin.

Goes Cube went on around 11:15 and battled with awful sound the entire time. For most of their set there was either ear splitting feedback, or no vocals at all. Big thumbs down to the sound guy. Sorry Fauxhawkus Majorus. You might want to try doing something other than ruining the sound of bands that play at Lakewood Bar & Grill. The band battled through the sound problems only to run into a hardware issue with the drums. As Kenny was working to fix his pedal (a nice guy in the audience ran out to his car to grab a Leatherman) Fauxhawk Face got on the PA and announced to Goes Cube that karaoke was going to start at midnight and announced that they'd need to finish up by 11:45. Thanks guy.

Well, the pedal problem got resolved and Goes Cube played one more song before the karaoke. Awful karaoke. Glorious karaoke. Just about everyone from the two bands got up and sang a song or two (some favorites were Matt's "Taking Care of Business" and David's "Take On Me", as well as "Kiss" from the Black Tie Revue crew) and then we headed back to our temporary home for some rest before heading to Austin. And no, I did not steal a bed from a child this time... I think the other Matt did.

Goes Cube tour 2007 next show:

14 March - Woody's w/ Jealous Girlfriends, Beat The Devil, Nakatomi Plaza, The Isles - more info HERE
321 W Ben White Blvd, Austin, Texas
Listening to right now:
The Rosebuds - "Get Up Get Out"*
Black Tie Revue - "Absent Radio"

Visit Goes Cube on MySpace
Visit Black Tie Revue on MySpace

Full tour schedule HERE

*this is a brand new song from the upcoming album Night Of The Furies by The Rosebuds.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

was there marching at karaoke? there better have been some marching!

Anonymous said...

did you do karaoke? you better have. did you know that there's hip-hop karaoke in nyc every monday night? oh yes oh yes oh yes. also, you know what you and I are going to (if we can successfully fight for tickets)? this: http://nymag.com/nyxny/index.php

we're going. you know it.

Matt said...

of course I did karaoke, but my game was off. i picked an Elvis song (typical) but it was an odd version of the song in a different key and it didn't work out very well. i hang my head in shame.

to your other point - whoa. Of Montreal as a backing band for karaoke?! that's nuts.