A day (or three) late, a badge short, I know. CMJ is soooo last week, and yet what better way to achieve some sense of closure than a decidedly biased and brief three-sided roundup? I can’t think of one either... below are some bits (and a slew of links) from the two of us here at EAR FARM. We'll count you (the reader) as our third opinion; so, if you have some thoughts on CMJ - speak!
--Top three shows attended--
1. The Secret Life of Sofia @ The Delancey – 20 Oct (+)
2. A Place To Bury Strangers @ The Delancey – 20 Oct (+)
3. Islands @ R Bar – 19 Oct (+)
1. The Walkmen @ Avalon – 17 Oct (+)
2. Yeasayer @ R Bar – 19 Oct (+)
3. The Secret Life of Sofia @ The Delancey – 20 Oct (+)
--Top three CMJ disappointments--
1. the sound @ Bowery Ballroom for British Sea Power (+)
2. people talking, and talking and talking, loudly at nearly every show
3. R Bar
1. Free = crowded
2. The absence of worthwhile content within daytime panels (Joe Panelist: "Sales of compact discs are not what they used to be, but look at CD box sets, they're still going strong!")
3. A tie: the three-story walk-up and sweltering temperatures at the Indaba loft
--Top three shows I wish I could have cloned myself for, in order to see--
1. Torche, Jesu @ Blender Theater – 20 Oct – (instead I DJ'd the Stereoactive/Hot Rocks show at the Delancey) (+)
2. The Forms, Goes Cube @ Midway – 20 Oct – (instead I DJ'd the Stereoactive/Hot Rocks show at the Delancey) (+)
3. Islands, Trail of Dead @ Highline Ballroom – 18 Oct - (instead I saw British Sea Power) (+)
1. Islands, Trail of Dead @ Highline Ballroom – 18 Oct – (non-cloned me went to British Sea Power) (+)
2. Sam Champion, Yeasayer @ Music Hall of Williamsburg – 17 Oct – (non-cloned me saw the Walkmen) (+)
3. Band of Horses, Le Loup @ Bowery Ballroom – 20 Oct – (non-cloned me attended the Stereoactive/Hot Rocks show at the Delancey) (+)
--Three revelations from the past week--
1. You don't need a CMJ badge to have fun, unless having fun to you means standing in line for an hour and a half. In that case, get a badge for CMJ.
2. When CMJ is downtown, the best place to grab a bite to eat and chill (and blog - shhh) in between day shows is upstairs at Whole Foods on Houston - heyyyy.
3. Panels need a good moderator or else the stated topic of said panel most likely won't even come close to being addressed by the under-qualified members of the panel.
1. Stripper poles and blood-red padded walls do not a good live music venue make.
2. Just like in college, those who ask questions at CMJ panels really only want to answer those same questions themselves, loudly and in front of everyone.
3. Apparently nobody in New York City holds a day job.
EAR FARM videos of CMJ performances:
- A Place to Bury Strangers - "To Fix The Gash In Your Head"
- Bell - "Brown Bear"
- Islands - "We Swim"
- Mancino - "Untitled new song #3"
- The Jaguar Club - "Perfect Timing"
- Goes Cube - "Goes Cube Song 47"
- Cut Off Your Hands! - "Expectations"
- Arizona - "Some Kind of Chill"
- StereoactiveNYC/Hot Rocks Official CMJ Showcase - 20 October 2007 @ The Delancey
- Bell @ Rockwood Music Hall - 19 October 2007
- Islands @ R Bar - 19 October 2007
- Black Kids @ R Bar - 19 October 2007
- Yeasayer @ R Bar - 19 October 2007
- Bowerbirds @ CMJ Day Stage - 19 October 2007
- British Sea Power @ Bowery Ballroom - 18 October 2007
- Mancino @ the Indaba Loft - 18 October 2007
- The Jaguar Club @ the Indaba Loft - 18 October 2007
- EAR FARM and Serious Business Records CMJ show - 17 October @ Bar Matchless
- The Walkmen @ Avalon - 17 October 2007
- Le Loup @ Pianos - 17 October 2007
- Cut Off Your Hands! @ the Indaba Loft - 16 October 2007
- Arizona @ the Indaba Loft - 16 October 2007
- Takka Takka, The Section Quartet @ CMJ Day Stage - 16 October 2007