17 October 2007

Stardeath and White Dwarfs @ Maxwell's - 15 October 2007

Because I'm a bit fascinated with bands from the Oklahoma music scene, I was already slightly familiar with Stardeath and White Dwarfs. MySpace familiar at least. So I wanted to be sure to get to the show early enough to catch their set, and I'm glad I did.

Now, that's not to say I'm glad because I loved Stardeath and White Dwarfs. And that's not to say I hated them either. Here's what I saw and heard: a band that feels like they should be playing arenas but still has a ways to go before their craft matches these aspirations. They were loud - too loud. They had stacks upon stacks of amplifiers and a custom lighting setup that bothered more than entertained. This could've been due to the height of the stage at Maxwell's, but was annoying regardless.

Their sound in a live setting was a mixture of shoegaze, prog, and elements of fellow Oklahomans Evangelicals. For the first two songs I thought "yesss" and then by the fourth song I was ready for them to leave the stage. Again, they just seemed to be a few notches away from putting everything together in a manner that would make me need to see them again and again. Still, there's enough goodness here that I'd suggest you seeing Stardeath and White Dwarfs for yourself to make up your own mind.

Stardeath and White Dwarfs - current tour dates w/ British Sea Power:
18 October - New York, NY (Bowery Ballroom - CMJ)
19 October - Washington, DC (Black Cat)
21 October - Cambridge, MA (Middle East Downstairs)

Listen:
"Chemical"

See more pictures of Stardeath and White Dwarfs (from this show) HERE.

Visit Stardeath and White Dwarfs on MySpace.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The Kyoto Protocol is a dated document, it is actually considered by many as an impediment to the move forward but there was good will demonstrated in Durban, the agreement that we ended up with provides the basis for an agreement by 2015."

He said that though the text of the Durban agreement "provides a loophole for China and India", it represents "the way forward".
insurance helphgh reviews

Ray Ban said...

sunglasses