02 August 2006

Beg Yr Pardon #5

Beg Yr Pardon #5 - last night @ The Delancey

The fifth Beg Yr Pardon party was last night, do I even need to tell you it was a bunch of fun? Nah. You're used to me singing the praises of BYP by now I'm sure. Also, given the lineup (Air Waves, Schwervon, El Jezel, and Via Audio) and the DJs (myself and D from Soft Communication), I'm sure you figured it for a fun time. Free beer for an hour as well, can't beat that. No ma'am. So why didn't you make it out? Because the temperature was 145°? Meh, whatever. The sweetness of that well AC'd basement helped make BYP #5 THE place to be last night.

Air Waves
Air Waves started things off and seemed a bit rusty or something. There was a start and a stop plus some tuning issues...and they played the show last night without their bassist. No big deal really but I wasn't sure what to make of them at first. By the end of the set they had hit full stride and I found myself kinda loving their stripped down sincerity. Songs such as "Shine On" (below) have me thinking of them as being what Sentridoh might sound like if Lou Barlow were a woman. Check out when you can see them live by clicking HERE.

Listen: "Shine On"

Visit Air Waves on MySpace.

Schwervon
Schwervon made me happy. Always good when you find yourself smiling whilst seeing a band you've never seen before, specially if it's early in the night and you know the smile isn't being induced by happyjuice. At first, you might think this duo has a seemingly White Stripesish thing going on, but you'd be wrong. For starters, Schwervon's drummer Nan can actually sing and play more than one drum at a time. Take THAT Meg White. For real though, I got more of a Neil Young (Matt's guitar playing), Jon Spencer Blues Explosion (overall sound), Ween (sense of humor/mixing of Pop and indie-rock) kinda thing from these guys. They brought something fresh and exciting, and for that I thank them. Must see again.

Listen: "Groundhog"

Visit Schwervon on MySpace.

El Jezel
Okay now, El Jezel was already wicked awesome in my book. They sent me their album Elements Of Being Put Together and I listened to it and loved it right away. I was hoping to get them to play the second EF Presents... show (which is going to happen someday, I swear) and was holding off on writing about them for quite some time. I just wanted to check them out live first to hear how the album songs sounded in person. Well, I did that last night and from the opening chords of "Michigan" I was in love. No joke. That song fucking rocks my shit. It does. Almost made me poop my pants it was so good (hyperbole, but not by much). Everything they played was freaking fantastic, from the first song right up to their closing cover of "Fascination Street". Shit yes. More I say, MORE.

Listen: “Sleep”

Visit El Jezel on MySpace.

Via Audio
I'm a sucker for a Cure cover song and after El Jezel rocked "Fascination Street" I was wondering how the heck Via Audio was going to follow up and make me care. First song, first few notes, I was immediately all about some Via Audio. They showed off some fine fine work on the stage, what with great stage presence and swift shifting of instrument duties, and showcased their soft harmonies and excellent pop skills with what turned out to be a really great set. No surprise to their many fans, I assume, and I'll betcha a few new people were converted to the Via Audio cause last night. I know I was.

Listen: “Developing Active People”

Visit Via Audio on MySpace.

--

Throughout the night there was an ongoing DJ "battle" between myself and D from Soft Communication. It was a blast co-DJing with someone so full of music knowledge. Did I say "battle"? Yes. Who won? She did, but it's in her contract that she has to accept a rematch. Next time, I'm going all out. Not to say I didn't this time but I think I could've used a bit more training and prep. Anyway, want to see a list of every song we played?

DJ playlist (mine are in BOLD, D's are the others):
"Me Plus One" - Annie
"Lloyd, I'm Ready To Be Heartbroken" - Camera Obscura
"Melo do Vitiligo" - Bonde do Role
"The City Never Sleeps" - The Fall
"Punker Plus" - Le Tigre
"The Continuing Story Of Bungalow Bill" - Deerhoof
"Jackson" - Lee Hazelwood & Nancy Sinatra
"Jackson" - Brakes
"Let Down" - Toots And The Maytals
"Wolf At The Door" - Radiohead
"911 Is A Joke" - Public Enemy
"The Bush" - Special Ed
"Hot Boyz" - Dear Nora & Casiotone For The Painfully Alone
"20L07" - John & Jehn
---
"Pole Position" - Folk Implosion
"Rollin' Danny" - The Fall
"Crocodiles" - Echo & The Bunnymen
"99 Problems" - Danger Mouse/Jay Z
"Standing in the Shower Thinking" - Jane's Addiction
"Cut-Out Witch" - Guided By Voices
"Beetlebum" - Blur
---
"Tame" - The Pixies
"Really Bad Weekend" - Art Brut
"Two Guys (For Every Girl)" - Peaches
"The Journey" - Fatboy Slim
"See Emily Play" - Pink Floyd
"Worked Up So Sexual" - The Faint
"Field Day For Sundays" - Wire
"What's In It For Me?" - Brakes
"Cope" - The Futureheads
---
"Plastic Passion" - The Cure
"Handsome Devil" - The Smiths
"Trash" - New York Dolls
"Baby C'mon" - Stephen Malkmus
"Astronomy Domine" - Pink Floyd
"Wounded World" - Mission of Burma
"Scream Team" - Deerhoof
---
"Let's Go Crazy" - Prince
"Into The Groove" - Madonna
"Groove Is In The Heart" - Deee-Lite
"Sexy Back" - Justin Timberlake
"Work It" - Missy Elliott
"Good Enough for Grandad" - Squirrel Nut Zippers
"Humpty Dance" - Digital Underground
"So What'chu Want?" - Beastie Boys
"Talk To Me, Dance With Me" - Hot Hot Heat
"Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'" - Michael Jackson
"The Last Time" - Gnarls Barkley
"Monday Morning" - Pulp
"Love Me or Hate Me" - Lady Sovereign
"Don't You Want Me" - Human League

5 comments:

d said...

are you wearing ear farm colors? you better be.

Anonymous said...

rotm as usual earfarmer, good job as dj last night too! dancing!

d said...

we should totally do weddings. you forgot to mention the requests honored (gnarls barkley, a second helping of floyd) & the requests we couldn't (new kids on the block) next time...

Anonymous said...

Way to wriggle out (no pun intended) of your promise to give me a lap dance, dude.

ch said...

What a site, fantastic. I´ll tell Nancy on you when I see her on October .
Love
Holberg