21 August 2006

EAR FARM checks in with the Elbo.ws top 10

Who's hot? Why?! You might notice the list from Elbo.ws that's constantly posted on the lower right hand side of this site...it looks just like the one attached to this post here. Anyway, Elbo.ws is a music blog aggregator and not a bad source for finding out what you music blog readers are enjoying week to week. Let's take a look shall we?



Elbo.ws top 10 'hot' artists - 21 August 2006 @ 4pm EST

Of Montreal - I'm super pissed I miss seeing these guys live EVERY time they come around. Word is their shows kick ace. Now, if I could just figure out why they're topping the list this week...oh right, the remix album. Awesome.

Viva Voce - They're still here eh? Perhaps when I called them "beginner rock" I missed the mark by a ways. Thankfully their label got in touch and I've been able to give their music a second listen. Pitchfork was right, to listen to the song posted below on repeat might not be such a bad idea.Ratatat - I love this band. You won't find me saying they're the best thing going in terms of dancey tunes but I will tell you they scratch this very particular itch of mine. That is, I REALLY think the song posted below sounds like it should've been the end credit song for a late '80s Konami game called Wildcatslevania. Check it out right around the 1:55 mark, that's the exact moment when you say to yourself "okay, I beat the game, can I just hit start and skip the rest of these credits or should I wait in case there's some cheat, or code, at the end...? Oh snap! The music just got way groovy! I think I'll wait and rock out a bit..."Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Never one to be afraid of cutting a few corners am I...stick with Yoda-speak and cut and paste what I wrote about them last week I will: "surprised I am that so many of my friends with good taste in music don't really like this band. They kick ass both live AND on record...AND on TV. Check out "Cheated Hearts" from their recent appearance on Late Night with Conan O’Brien."Silversun Pickups - I'm thinking you're not going to remember this band in four years. Perhaps not even in four months when everyone is considering their favorite albums of 2006. That's part of the danger in going with a sound firmly inspired by music over a decade old. If you're not able to make that sound your own you might end up a flash in the pan band. I hope they're able to prove me wrong.Junior Boys - Color me an idiot or something but when I picked up their album Last Exit I completely disagreed with, well basically, the entire world. I found Junior Boys to be bland dance-pop along the lines of what you might expect the 'progressive'/creepy music manager at your local Barnes & Noble to bump right after lunch as a conversation starter. I'm finding this track to be along the same lines as the songs on Last Exit, yet here I am enjoying it. Perhaps it's time for a career change.Jed and Lucia - When watching the TV show "Felicity", ever notice how often all of the actors spoke in loud whispers? That shit was ANNOYING. Kind of the way it's equally annoying that so many artists have been singing in the same whispery manner ever since Tigermilk showed the world that indie fans still like '60s sounding folk-pop. Nevermind all of that though because this song is pretty good. Crap, did I admit to watching "Felicity"?Bishop Allen - What more can I say? Bishop Allen is pulling off quite the feat this year by releasing an EP each month. You may know that The Wedding Present did something similar in 1992 (later released as two albums called Hit Parade 1 and Hit Parade 2) but they were simply releasing a single and a b-side each month, not four (quality) song EPs. All hail Bishop Allen.The Diggs - I'm sticking with my theory from last week that these guys (as well as Cassettes Won't Listen) are being propelled right now by the sweet remix of "Everyone's Starting Over". Listen to it now and hear Tim (from The Diggs) perform it with Cassettes Won't Listen later this week at Crackers United's Friction.The Decemberists - Ohhhh, I wonder why they've suddenly appeared on this list. Could it be because people are trying to break the law and seek out/download tracks from The Decemberists' major label debut album? Yes, I know that's the reason but EAR FARM isn't really all about trying to feed you guys leaked pre-release tracks. Instead I'll go along with Thepunkguy and just post a bit of a rarity. Love Echo & the Bunnymen, love that The Decemberists are so cover-friendly.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for the decemberists rarity...as for viva voce i guess i may need to take another listen, but i wasn't into it when i first heard it as well as when i caught them live

TJ said...

See, Silversun Pickups scratches my itch. The sound may be derived, but I think they're mixing it up enough to make it their own. Who else is mining that particular vein of rock right now, anyway?

Plus, the bass player is key-yoot.

Anonymous said...

cassettes wont listen remix is the sh*t! thanks!
definitely checking them out at the sin-e show

Anonymous said...

Lots of good stuff here, particularly the Junior Boys. And Decemberists covering 80s classics is always a good thing.

Anonymous said...

i hope you went to see the diggs tonight--last night--monday night. with slowlands and tiny masters of today.
you were playing cribbage instead??

Anonymous said...

Matt,
Look at us, we are so law abiding. Thanks for the rare Decemberists song. it's a great one.
krist
Thepunkguy.com