09 August 2006

Ten Best songs about North Carolina

I feel like there are some good songs missing here but all I can think of right now (that I wish were on this list) is "Carolina Christmas" by Squirrel Nut Zippers. Anyway, check out YES! Weekly's Ten Best songs about North Carolina (via Largehearted Boy):

Old Crow Medicine Show - "Wagon Wheel"
Superchunk - "Driveway to Driveway"
Brandon D - "Da Kak Joint"
James Taylor - "Carolina on My Mind"
Sonic Youth - "Chapel Hill"
Whiskeytown - "Excuse Me While I Break My Own Heart Tonight"
Petey Pablo - "Raise Up"
Bruce Piephoff - "Riding the Stream"
Shooter Jennings - "Gone to Carolina"
Townes Van Zandt - "Greensboro Woman"
Can anyone think of other good songs about North Carolina? Where the shit is Trees Lounge's 50-states project when you need it?

By the way, those who know me know I'm not the biggest Sonic Youth fan out there (I do like them a lot, just don't know all of their songs super well) so big-ups to them for name checking Char Grill in their song "Chapel Hill".

"We'll round up the Durham HC kids/ And the char grill killers/ Jesse H. come into our pit/ All ages show…."

(neeeed Hamburger Steak and medium shake)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can you count The Album Leaf song "The Outer Banks" if it doesn't have any words?

Anonymous said...

You already have Whiskeytown on here, but the first song that comes to my mind is Ryan Adams' "Oh, My Sweet Carolina."

Anonymous said...

Jason Harrod's got a song called "Carolina" that is great. WUNC plays it a lot.

Jennifer said...

"Excuse Me If I Break My Own Heart Tonight" has absolutely nothing to do with North Carolina, South Carolina, or any Carolina for that matter. It has more to do with Mississipp if you ask me. Why did they put it in that list? I mean, the band has ties to NC, but come on? Anyone agree?

Anonymous said...

what about "Carolina on my mind" by James Taylor??

Anonymous said...

"My Sweet Carolina" is definitely up there as one of the best Carolina songs. How about Avett Brothers? They've got a whole bunch of great NC songs:

40 East
The Lowering (A Sad Day In Greenvilletown)
Pretty Girl from Raleigh
Pretty Girl from Cedar Lane
Salina

Unknown said...

OCMS all the way, son!

Anonymous said...

How about "Carolina Girls"? I know it's not exactly about the state, but....

Ashley said...

To Jennifer...only one version of the song says "Mississippi." The version that Ryan Adams (who, of course, is from NC) was really proud of said "trailer park town" instead. But you're right - it doesn't say anything specific about North Carolina.

Anonymous said...

the space between by valencia
it's not really about north carolina, but it talks about it in the song

Anonymous said...

"Carolina" by Eric Church is the best
and "Carolina" by Matt Wertz is excellent as well.

Anonymous said...

Carolina in the Morning by Al Jolson is the most famous song about the Carolinas.