14 August 2006

EAR FARM checks in with the Elbo.ws top 10

Who's hot? Why?! From time to time I field questions about why EAR FARM isn't talking about/featuring some of the current 'hot' indie bands or songs. This site has always operated under the assumption that not featuring certain music said all that needed to be said about those artists (from an EAR FARM perspective) and that there are already plenty of other sites giving service to these much talked about bands. Besides, when any music really scratches the EF itch it gets a mention. Still though...checking in each week with what's popular over at music blog aggregator Elbo.ws wouldn't hurt and might offer a chance for a different tone here.

Enter EAR FARM's new weekly feature.

Elbo.ws top 10 'hot' artists - 14 August 2006 @ 3pm EST

Brazilian Girls - this band is like eating dinner at Outback Steakhouse. Pretty decent but nothing worth spending much money on or going out of your way for... Some people might consider them delightful, exotic, and special but I think they're more Deee-Lite, bland, and normal. That said, the spooky touches in "Jique" are nearly enough to keep me interested for four minutes.

Viva Voce - I remember Pitchfork responding favorably to one of their tracks recently and I know they're hitting the road with Silversun Pickups but I'm not completely sold on what I've heard thus far. "When Planets Collide" sounds a bit like beginner rock to me yet still gets my foot tapping. Therefore, I wouldn't mind seeing them live so as to form a more informed opinion of the band.Bel Auburn - who?! I don't know these guys but I can quickly tell they like to think they feel the music. Their Sunny Day Eat World inspired sound doesn't do much for me at all. "Sing What You Mean"...any fool can think up words that rhyme, many others do - why don't you?Bishop Allen - much respect. That and big ups to Bishop Allen for what they've been doing with their 'EP each month of 2006' project. It's so uniquely interactive when you go and purchase the new EP and then get four new songs from them each month but the best part about it all is how damn good the songs are. This one, "Click Click Click Click", belongs at the top of the camera/picture-song list with other classics like "Kodachrome" and "Pictures of You".Yeah Yeah Yeahs - surprised I am that so many of my friends with good taste in music don't really like this band. They kick ass both live AND on record...AND on TV. Check out "Cheated Hearts" from their recent appearance on Late Night with Conan O’Brien.The Walkmen - another thing which I find surprising: lackluster response to The Walkmen's May release A Hundred Miles Off. It's a very good album that might just need to sit on the shelf a bit before critics realize they generally got it wrong the first time. I'm looking forward to their second album of the year, a reinterpretation of the 1974 Harry Nilsson album Pussy Cats.The Raconteurs - blah blah blah Jack White, yawn yawn Brendan Benson, boring boring Patrick Keeler, Jack Lawrence...etc, etc. The most interesting thing about this band is their website.Silversun Pickups - I missed out on seeing these guys live a week ago because of work. Stupid, stupid work. Thus, I can't say what I think of the band other than that I've heard mixed things thus far about their live shows and I think their album isn't half-bad AND I like this WOXY performance. Check it out at So Much Silence below.Matthew Friedberger - I've tried to like The Fiery Furnaces but they just don't do it for me. I did like that EP they put out but then I think that's like Match Point to Woody Allen. Regardless, I am liking what I hear of Matthew Friedberger solo. Take the track below for example, it's fun and fresh in a Burt Bacharach meets Jeff Tweedy kinda way.The Diggs - EAR FARM first featured The Diggs back in December and I've watched their popularity grow nicely since then. Not sure what exactly pushed them into the Elbo.ws top 10 just now but I'm guessing it could be the excellent remix of "Everyone's Starting Over" by Cassettes Won't Listen.(obviously, "hot" is relative and I'm referring to the above artists' hotness in terms of music blogs)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

do you think the yeah yeah yeahs have been shunned by many an indie rock lover because they gained popularity relatively quickly?

Anonymous said...

first time at this site but I need to say that you're taste is pretty bad if you don't like The Raconteurs. they're awesome!

Anonymous said...

on iss tee
very good

Kit "Blanche Deveraux" said...

oh i love this. really cool site. i'll keep checking in...

Check out mine:

roseonathorn.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

thanks for the link.

http://thepunkguy.com

nice site.
krist

Unknown said...

yay for Culture Bully day at Ear Farm

Anonymous said...

Walkmen--agreed. I only came to my senses after seeing them at the pitchfork festival. You was knowing it all along. I re-listened and holy shit!

Lucas "Kip" Owen said...

Bel Auburn has been spaming bloggers left and right with emails. They are giving away their album on their website. I finally gave them a listen yesterday on the way back from work...what!! they are in the top 10. I guess when you say the words Free it really gets you places.

Anonymous said...

nice post matt. really enjoyed this one!

Unknown said...

Bel Aubrun is good stuff. Regardless of what others might say. What a great band, with such sweet music. I love these guys. They answered some questions I sent them, and provided some great answers.

Anonymous said...

if you're not digging Viva Voce, I highly suggest their album the heat can melt your brain. I'm not into the newest stuff yet, but that album of theirs is quality.