31 July 2006

Emma La Reina, The Muggabears @ loft party, 10 Jay St, Brooklyn - 28 July 2006

This past Friday I was lucky enough (wise enough) to have attended a party at Emma La Reina's practice space in Brooklyn. Five bands were on the bill: Limbs, Antiques (from D.C.), The Harmony of Chaos, Emma La Reina, and The Muggabears. Sadly, I missed Limbs. They're a really fantastic band who I've seen before and who I'm excited to see again - I just have a good feeling about their potential. See if you'll be able to catch them on their upcoming tour by clicking HERE. Antiques sounded very good and had an interesting Dinosaur Jr. meets The Doors kinda thing going on while The Harmony of Chaos rocked the joint for what was their very first live show together. However, I was most interested in checking out what Emma La Reina and The Muggabears sounded like in a live setting.

Emma La Reina
No matter how much of an inclination I had that Emma La Reina was going to be an excellent live band, I just didn't expected to be blown away like I was. The band was very well tight, with each member rising to the forefront at times and then falling back into the mix with perfect fluidity. I stand by my comparison of Emma La Reina to Mogwai and Pretty Girls Make Graves and I challenge you to listen to them. Go see them live and let me know what you think. Wait, I already know. You're going to love them. See, in all of the city, at whatever moment in time it was that Emma La Reina went on, I'm guessing not one group of people was having more fun than those of us at 10 Jay St in Brooklyn.

Listen:
“Olympics”

Visit Emma La Reina on MySpace.

The Muggabears
Someone is paying attention to EAR FARM. What I mean is, at least one person went and bought the debut album from The Muggabears as a result of my post about them last week. I'm glad to hear that because seeing The Muggabears live only confirmed everything I was already thinking about the band. They're primed to reach larger audiences right away. They've got that rare combination of seemingly free-form rock mixed with intelligent songwriting that makes music lovers demand more. "Give us MORE songs Muggabears!" the crowd screamed when the band announced that their set was finished. The band gave in to the demands and rocked and rolled through a couple more excellent Sonic Youth influenced songs any blogger would be proud to write about. Get with it folks - The Muggabears.

Listen:
"I'm Coming True"

Visit The Muggabears on MySpace.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

this show was fantastic...I believe the chant was "play tons more!"...but then again i cant remember everything

Anonymous said...

This show was great. All of the bands were awesome. It is cool to see bands in such an intimate space.

Anonymous said...

That someone was ME!!!
Nope. Just "anonymous." Different "anonymous" from above...although...I might have been there. ooohOOOHoooh
Okay, fine--I wasn't.
And I love the CD, by the way.
Thanks to Muggabears and Thanks to Matt!

Unknown said...

Power balance Neoprene Wristband is revolutionary holographic technology designed to resonate with your body's Bio-field, creating a state of coherency and harmonic balance.
The holographic technology inside Neoprene wristband is based on the principles of "Resonate Frequencies and Tones". Resonance is the most important principle of sound in any form. It designates the ability of a vibration to reach out through vibrational waves to set off a similar vibration in another body. Emporio Armani
power balance and
omega-watch,
zhu zhu pet are also nice.