17 July 2006

Siren Music Festival 2006

Siren '06! What?! What'd you guys think? Favorite band? (mine - Man Man) Least favorite? (of those I saw - Celebration) If they had a suggestion box for how to make it better next year, what would you say? (me: more bathrooms, more speakers for the second stage, and more beer taps/workers at Nathan's)

This was my third time going to the Siren Music Festival, I went to the first one back in 2001 and then skipped a few years but went again last year. Timing wasn't right for one of those years I missed (the fantastic lineup of Siren '02, damn) and the others I skipped out on because the lineups just weren't enticing enough to pay nothing for. Well, I'm sure I won't miss another one. I think. It's just too much fun spending the day at Coney Island listening to free music...even if it is one of the bands that turns out to be a bit bland or boring.

Basically, I was there to see three bands: Man Man, Tapes 'N Tapes, and Art Brut. The quickest summary I can offer of each band (in order) would go something like this: excellent, average, fun. Granted, I've had a bit of a Man Man crush in 2006 and it was my first time ever seeing Art Brut so I might've been more inclined to enjoy sets by those bands. As for Tapes, well, I've seen them a few times before and this performance was good but seemed to lack that extra sparkle that would've made the show awesome possum. To be fair, the sound wasn't so great during their set and it did also rain right as they started.

So, this time I've got a few extra pictures...more than you'd usually find in an EF concert post. The two wide shots (1st picture: Tapes 'N Tapes, 2nd picture: Art Brut) were taken by me (Matt) and the close-ups you see of Tapes 'N Tapes (posted below) were taken by nearly-regular EAR FARM contributor Mike. As well, I took my 35mm camera so in the next few days I'm hoping to have a few more pictures from the show.



Further Siren '06 coverage:

More links to be added as they're found.

2 comments:

Pat said...

I wrote about seeing the same three bands as you on Pop Tarts Suck Toasted. I thought the exact same thing, Man Man was great, Tapes n' Tapes was boring live but the music is good, and Art Brut was fun as always!!

Anonymous said...

that picture of the tapes & tapes guy is fucking awesome