27 July 2006

8+

“Sir Psycho Sexy” by Red Hot Chili Peppers which clocks in at 8:16

A few days after I turned sixteen and got my license (and two months after Blood Sugar Sex Magik was released) I went to the store with my best friend...Record Exchange in Raleigh at Mission Valley shopping center. But this was back when it was up on the other side near Nur Deli. I often went there rather than Schoolkids simply because parking was easier. Heck, I'm not even sure Record Exchange is still at Mission Valley at all these days, but no matter. Those details are irrelevant to most of you. Point is, there we were. Buying one CD each. He wanted to get Blood Sugar Sex Magik and, although I was a fan of Mother's Milk at the time, I was there to continue building my Depeche Mode collection. We left with our CDs and listened to mine (Black Celebration) in the car on the way back to his house. Once there we hung out and listened to our two new albums on our respective portable CD players with headphones on. At the same time. Yep, just hanging out with headphones on listening to our own music. I think I was almost finished listening to mine for a second time when my friend took off his headphones and was all "you HAVE to hear this song". He knew me very well, and knew my taste for extreme language and long songs. He was about to unleash on my young ears one of the greatest sex-filled swear word funk romps of all time and I was about to hear the song that would convince me I needed to get my own copy of Blood Sugar Sex Magik.

Listening to this song for the first time in many years this past weekend it occurred to me that funky songs tend to not age very well, though this one has held up alright. The song might sound a bit dated but I still know all of the words. With lines such as "There's a devil in my dick and some demons in my semen" and "I said what's up? Now suck my dick...like a ram getting ready to jam the lamb, she whimpered just a little when she felt my hand. On her crotch so very warm, I could feel her getting wet through her uniform" I don't think I'll EVER forget these lyrics.

Buy Blood Sugar Sex Magik HERE on Amazon.

EAR FARM's 8+ is a weekly feature that showcases songs longer than 8 minutes. In the recent past these songs were featured on EF's 8+:
British Sea Power - "Lately"
Islands - "Swans"
Isolée - "Pillowtalk"
Animal Collective - "Banshee Beat"
Wilderness - "Post Plethoric Rhetoric"
The Wedding Present - "Interstate 5"
Sleater-Kinney - "Let's Call It Love"
My Morning Jacket - "Dondante"
Wilco - "Spiders (Kidsmoke)"
Isis - "From Sinking"
Lemon Jelly - "A Tune For Jack"
Herbie Hancock - "Sly"
New Order - "Temptation"
Polvo - "El Rocio"
Pulp - "Countdown"
Morrissey - "The Teachers Are Afraid of the Pupils"
Dungen - "Du är för fin för mig"
Loose Fur - "Wreckroom"
The Who - "A Quick One, While He's Away"
Destroyer - "Rubies"
Neu! - "Fuer Immer (forever)"
Iggy Pop - "Mass Production"
The Cure - "Fascination Street" (Extended Mix)
Yo La Tengo - "Let's Be Still"
George Michael - "I Want Your Sex, Pts. 1 &2"
Digital Underground - "Doowutchyalike"
Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks - "1% Of One"
Big Brother & the Holding Company - "Ball And Chain"
The Stone Roses - "I Am The Resurrection"
DJ Shadow - "Napalm Brain/Scatter Brain"
Neil Young & Crazy Horse - “Cowgirl in the Sand”

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember being intrigued with this song. I was almost equally turned on and disgusted with it though. I think I was 14 when I first heard it--which was several years after it came out. Then when I was maybe 16 I was just kind of turned on. My favorite lines were
"I take it away for a minute just to tease her/Then I give it back a little bit deeper."
(...!)

Anonymous said...

who is that a picture of?

Anonymous said...

Creamy beaver hotter than a fever!!!

Matt said...

the picture is of a Halloween costume from HERE. not really what I always envisioned the lady cop in the song to look like (i always saw her as a brunette) but it was all i could come up with quickly.

Anonymous said...

It's kind of funny that you wrote a post about this song, since myself and dan(of Lean Seasoned Beef)were just talking about this album at Emma La Reina's loft party show last night. We bonded over the fact that while everyone else was listening to Nevermind we were both rocking Blood Sugar Sex Magic unapologetically.

buy kamagra said...

I could read through this post that you like to listen and finding out excellent music, actually this is also my style.