12 July 2006

Sebadoh III Reissued!!

I got an email a few weeks ago from someone at Domino letting me know that Domino Recording Company was set to reissue Sebadoh's truly brilliant 1991 album Sebadoh III. In the email were links to two audio samples (posted below) and some info on what to expect from this reissue. To say I got overly excited and hopped around on one leg for two days with a big smile on my face yelling "woo hoo!" would be a bit of a hyperbole, but not by much. I can not WAIT to hear this stuff!

About this album, AllMusic says:

"Along with Pavement's Slanted & Enchanted, Sebadoh III is one of the cornerstones of '90s indie rock, establishing the dubious lo-fi style as a credible subgenre. Though the recording techniques give the album a distinctive, hazy atmosphere, the music itself is fascinating. Divided between contributions from Lou Barlow, Eric Gaffney, and Jason Loewenstein, Sebadoh III doesn't necessarily offer a coherent listen. Instead, it's a variety of unexpected detours, with each track offering something different from what preceded. Barlow immediately distinguishes himself with his folky acoustic musings, which not only have sensitivity to spare, but also strong melodies. Gaffney, on the other hand, consigns himself to the role of hardcore noise rocker, often with varying results. Loewenstein falls between the two extremes, acting as a bridge between the two songwriters. With such a variety of styles and sounds, Sebadoh III is a kaleidoscopic summation of various American underground rock genres of the '80s, as well as a launching pad for the introspective obsessions of '90s indie rock."
That ain't no joke. Sebadoh is one of my favorite bands ever and was one of the only American bands that held my interest for very long in the '90s. I wrote about their album Harmacy in EAR FARM's Overlooked Albums From The '90s feature and, at one time, spent quite a bit of time trying to play, sing, and write just like Lou Barlow.

So why exactly should we be excited about this reissue? Well, Domino tells us...
This remastered re-release of the album comes bolstered with a disk swollen with tracks recorded around the time of ‘III’’s sessions. The bonus disk opens with the group’s ‘Gimme Indie Rock!’ EP, it’s sardonic title track an ecstatic homage-to/deconstruction-of the burgeoning indie-rock genre, complete with shout-outs to Sonic Youth, Pussy Galore and even Dinosaur. “I felt the music of the underground had become one-dimensional, noisy, and I wanted to fashion my own response to that,” Barlow told Mojo magazine, last year. “I knew I was on the right track, when people said I was a ‘pussy’ for playing an acoustic guitar. I’d found my new passion: quiet was the new loud.”
If you live in the UK, the Sebadoh III reissue was just released this past week. You can order it HERE. Word is it's set to be released in the US on the 8th of August. Oh baby, I can't wait to buy it on vinyl.

Listen:
"The Freed Pig"
"Gimme Indie Rock"

More songs to hear on the Domino Music Player.

Once again, BUY the reissue of Sebadoh III HERE.

Read what Pitchfork said about this reissue .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

how exciting.
these two tracks are so good.