24 July 2006

The Muggabears

Let's get the name thing out of the way first, shall we? The Muggabears. "Bouncing here and there and everywhere...high adventure that's beyond compare, we are the Muggabears". I can't help it. Seriously, I'm sorry, but I often get this weird association disorder that happens with band names. Sometimes I'll put off listening to a band just because of it. Well, yeah, that didn't happen here...for very long. Yes, The Muggabears made me think of the theme song for the Gummi Bears for some reason. Made me think of the Care Bears as well. Perhaps because the name just sounds cuddly? I think it does. Say it: Muggabear. Mmmm, soft. Thankfully the only issue I ever had with those Gummi/Care Bears is that their stupid cartoon(s) always seemed to be on TV when I was hoping for some GI Joe or Transformer action. Thankfully, I mean, because I got over the lame association I created and checked out the music of The Muggabears.

Verdict: The Muggabears make excellent music. Their songs are not 'cuddly' or 'cute' and they shouldn't be ignored. They're a guitar based band that tends towards the experimental side of things while still keeping one foot firmly planted in solid melodies and structure. Not to try and get away with a cheap comparison, but watch as I do (and it's the truth) - The Muggabears fit very nicely into the indie-rock family tree someplace between Silver Jews and Sonic Youth and manage to pull off their sound without seeming derivative. Isn't that a combo you'd be very happy with hearing some more of? Yes, I know it is. From what I've been able to discern by listening to the three songs they offer online, we'd all be rather stupid to miss their upcoming shows. Look, for what it's worth to you, I'm telling you that this band has some 'blog buzz potential'...now I'm wondering: why don't we already own their debut Kim Berlin?

Listen:
"Married to the Moon"
"I'm Coming True"
"Sister Now"

Visit The Muggabears on MySpace.

Go HERE to buy their debut Kim Berlin.

See them live:
28 July 2006 - DUMBO Loft party w/Emma La Reina, Limbs, and Antiques
29 July 2006 - Trash Bar w/Tall Hands

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I heard the Muggabears on LHB once or something, they're good.

Anonymous said...

glad you got over the name enuf to share this, i like it a lot.
(i was just talking about the gummi bears yesterday. yikes.)

Matt said...

this may have been a bit misleading...i didn't hate their name at first - not at all. i just associated it with some cartoons from the 80s.

rock on Muggabears.

d said...

I heard several of their songs done solo by travis muggabears & I was mightily impressed. I can't wait to see them!

kate said...

not only is the music good.. but the band has a great sense of humor. check 'em in this interview..it's fun!
http://www.uncensoredinterview.com/artists/160-The-Muggabears